Where to find Proficiency Test provider for photometrics (spectral %R, %T, photo density)

greif

Involved In Discussions
We are working to become ISO 17025 accredited as a calibration lab. I need to line up a proficiency test plan for measurements, But have only found one provider for glass line scales (NAPT) and one for L*a*b* color ( CTS). I need tests for the following;
Spectral % reflectance at 0:45 diffuse
Transmission optical density (ortho photographic densitometer)
Spectral % transmission (spectrophotometer)

Any leads on accredited outfits that offer such services would be much appreciated.!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
We are working to become ISO 17025 accredited as a calibration lab. I need to line up a proficiency test plan for measurements, But have only found one provider for glass line scales (NAPT) and one for L*a*b* color ( CTS). I need tests for the following;

Any leads on accredited outfits that offer such services would be much appreciated.!

Thanks!
Unfortunately I don't know of any proficiency testing service for those disciplines.
Most accreditation bodies will allow you to opt out of this requirement if you show records of your due diligence in searching for such a lab.

Also 17025:2017 covers this much better than past versions:

7.7.2 The laboratory shall monitor its performance by comparison with results of other laboratories,
where available and appropriate. This monitoring shall be planned and reviewed and shall include, but
not be limited to, either or both of the following:
a) participation in proficiency testing;
b) participation in interlaboratory comparisons other than proficiency testing.

So you can use a planned and monitored interlab comparison here. Something I have done is to compare our lab results to measurements on freshly calibrated standards. That way you can show that your measurements are consistent with another outside laboratory.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks!
Have you considered NIST?

greif

Involved In Discussions
I like NIST! Some of my standards were calibrated by them. How do they fit into the proficiency testing?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I like NIST! Some of my standards were calibrated by them. How do they fit into the proficiency testing?
I'm not familiar with the requirements for proficiency testing, but NIST should have the capability to do the measurements. Make an inquiry and discuss your requirements.

greif

Involved In Discussions
17025 requires a lab to test itself against a group of other labs for proficiency. And the outfit administerig the test must be ISO 17043 accredited as an proficiency tester. NIST probably does round robin things with other NMIs, but I don't know of them doing things with labs.

One thing I am sure must be out there, but have not seen is a test of labs for spectral transmission for a standard spectrophotometer using a cuvette cell. The ones I have seen all seem to be actual samples to analyze not "how good is your %T reading across the spectrum".

greif

Involved In Discussions
NVLAP does 17025 accreditation , like A2LA, or ANAB; but I don't see proficiency testing in their bag of tricks.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Since you are not finding a proficiency test provider I would suggest contacting other accredited laboratories doing the same calibrations. They will be running into the same issue. Perhaps you can team up with them on a round robin, or maybe they already know of one in operation.
NVLAP will accredit proficiency testing providers, but they are not a proficiency testing service.
Have you contacted the accreditation body you are working with? Maybe they can provide some guidance.

greif

Involved In Discussions
Thanks- I was hoping it was just my ignorance of the various proficiency testers, but I will need to make more than a few calls.

Top Bottom