Your Comments on my TS 16949 Quality Manual would be appreciated

T

Taliesyn

Hi! I've made a radical change to the format & content of our Quality Manual (TS registered) and, before I end up trying to convince my MD that it's a valid change, I'd like the Forum's thoughts on what I've done. There's no pressure for time so I'm happy to see what you guys think.

Attachments

• NewPolicyManual.doc
    649.5 KB · Views: 321

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Your Comments would be appreciated before I make a fool of myself!

On the very first glance I want to caution not to over promise.

Error free products, the first time every time? "0 errors" has been rejected in industry as impossible to achieve, either statistically or because doing do would be too costly.

In Responsibility, "All personnel carrying out tasks likely to have an impact upon the quality of..." is too vague. They either have responsibility for something or they don't. If they have responsibility, they need to know, and have the acknowledgement and authority to act according to the plan they are being held responsible to. Boom, that's it.

In the Vision Statement, "P&B Metal Components Limited will be a “World Class” manufacturer within 5 years" states that you're not one now, and in addition gives a deadline that may, or may not forecast the constraints.

In short, I would give serious thought to the possible and practical when writing such a document.

T

Taliesyn

Hmmm - a few things to think about there. Mind you - as far as the "error free" bit goes - I was always taught that 0ppm and "zero defects" are not necessarily the same thing. If the custmer decrees that we should not exceed 500ppm over the contract and we achieve 375ppm; that's "zero defects" but no 100% perfect parts. That's what I meant by that statement as opposed to ................................... and, because I've just had to explain what I meant to a peer/fellow Quality-type person, I guess I'd better get my coat and leave quietly!!:notme:
Thanks for the feedback.:D:thanx:

BradM

Leader
Admin

Hmmm - a few things to think about there. Mind you - as far as the "error free" bit goes - I was always taught that 0ppm and "zero defects" are not necessarily the same thing. If the custmer decrees that we should not exceed 500ppm over the contract and we achieve 375ppm; that's "zero defects" but no 100% perfect parts. That's what I meant by that statement as opposed to ................................... and, because I've just had to explain what I meant to a peer/fellow Quality-type person, I guess I'd better get my coat and leave quietly!!:notme:
Thanks for the feedback.:D:thanx:

No need to leave, we just got started!:tg:

I think you just made Jennifer's point.:D Recall, you are talking about a high level document for the entire organization. Managers, customers, auditors, etc. will review this document. Look at it this way, if your employee's spouses saw this on the wall, would they understand it?

Just saying, the policy and such should be a rudder of sorts, to provide guidance to the organization. Statements like no failures, first time, every time, are ideal. Problem is, it don't happen like that. And when your employees read it and know the first couple of lines are unrealistic, then why should they read the rest of it?

Mind you...:D you came to the right place for advice. Please... keep in mind that we're pretty honest on this stuff. Not that we are inherently cruel, but that we're trying to... Pay it Forward to some respect. We would like to see little ways, all over the world, quality systems improve and serve the customer, and not the other way around.:)

Too... I am not an automotive expert, so discount my statement as such. But there seems to be a lot of calibration detail in an overview procedure. I would think at this level you would want general statements of competencies and processes. Then, at a lower level you establish specific capabilities, ranges, uncertainties, and such.

T

Taliesyn

Your points are well made and well received. This is the first time that I've tried to condense all the usual bluster and stuff into a few brief statements instead of the usual 10-20 page text-based policy manual and, as I expected, some of it didn't quite work. There's always an element of "I know what I mean but will everybody else?" so, as far as paying it forward goes, all comments are gratefully received.
You never know I might even act on the advice! I've already revised a couple of phrases in the light of Jennifer's comments and now I'll reread the other text sections and see if they can be usefully revised in light of your comments. The biggest problem is that some of my Customers - especially the one who will demand a copy of the new manual - are not native English speakers, they'll need every second line defined in a 3 paragraph, "legal English" explanation and then complain like hell that they are not specifically mentioned anywhere in the Policy Manual!
Many thanks for your comments.:)

A

achorste

Does the quality manual cover your other plant in Sheffield? or is it purely for the Whitstable plant?

T

Taliesyn

I've attached a modified version to cover the comments that have been made so far. Any further abuse would be tolerated - SORRY, your comments would be gratefully received. Hopefully, I've straightened out the kinks that were highlighted yesterday.

As far as our Sheffield plant goes, they've got a routine TS audit later this month and - in the near future - the manual will be expanded with another organisation chart to include them but, at the moment, I'm at the "discussion" stage with my local colleagues. The guys in Sheffield will be asked to help broaden the document and have their input after their audit is out of the way.

Attachments

• NewPolicyManual.doc
    650 KB · Views: 240

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Now that is something I could support. Well done. :applause:

Sorry if I was hard on you, but such criticism would be better coming from me than your management team I guess... :cool:

T

Taliesyn

Jennifer; no offence taken.

I've always made a point of remembering that no matter how good I think I am, there's always someone else with more experience or knowledge who could help me get even better! And, just to prove the point, my Wife regularly reminds me that I'm inferior! Apparently it has something to do with my genes .... or was it what was in my jeans?!:notme:

Seriously, I do appreciate the help and, if I'm honest, the help/guidance that I've taken away from the forums has made my working life just tht little bit easier and more enjoyable. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to repay the favour and help someone else out!:thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx:

Top Bottom