What Subjects do you Teach?

G

Greg B

We finally have a training Thread and it has sat here for a few weeks almost empty. Lets start the ball rolling.
  1. What do you teach your employees?
  2. Do you have separate packages for Management?

I teach an induction course which contains a very basic overview of our system. A more detailed description of our Document system (Where, How and Why) and Change Mechanisms (Corrective Actions and CI Suggestions), A discussion on Quality and what it means to them and the company, Contamination and Non Conformance issues and a basic understanding of Auditing (what I expect from them and what they should expect from me - honesty, openess etc)
I have a CI lesson for Managers/Supervisors and I periodically present lessons on Quality Awareness to the front line troops.
I have a lesson called 'Apes and Culture' which is on this site somewhere that deals with culture and change.

Greg B

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Since I work for a training/consulting organization, I teach all kinds of subjects. But I assume you are talking about training for organizations either working towards ISO 9001 or with already established systems.

Here are typical kinds of training I might do for a consulting client starting with no established quality system:
· ISO 9001 "executive overview" for top management. Includes just enough info for them to know what ISO 9001 is and what they are committing to do.
· 5-day lead auditor training for the management rep or person who will manage the interenal audit program. They become "the expert" on the standard and onsite go-to person.
· 3-day internal auditor training for all internal auditors. Similar to above. Prepares them to be internal auditors.
· Various other subjects to appropriate personnel, such as CAPA, document control, FMEA, writing effective documents, supplier management, etc.
· 1~2 hour ISO/QMS overview training for the masses. Includes just the info they need to know. Usually this is done just prior to the first internal audit, and includes information about what to expect in an audit.

Well, that's just off the top of my head. Really, the training provided is going to vary a lot depending on the size of the organization, experience level of the people, and how much hand-holding they want or need. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
My 'mains':
<center><a href="/8D_Guide_Sample/8-D_Guide_Web.htm" target="blank"><font color="#660066" face="Comic Sans MS" size="-2">8-D</font></a> | <a href="/APQP_Guide_Sample/APQP_Guide_Web.htm" target="blank"><font color="#660066" face="Comic Sans MS" size="-2">APQP</font></a> | <a href="/Audit_Guide_Sample/Audit_Guide_Web.htm" target="blank"><font color="#660066" face="Comic Sans MS" size="-2">Audit</font></a> | <a href="/FMEA_Guide_Sample/FMEA_Guide_Web.htm" target="blank"><font color="#660066" face="Comic Sans MS" size="-2">FMEA</font></a> | <a href="/Imp_Guide_Sample/Implementation_Web.htm" target="blank"><font color="#660066" face="Comic Sans MS" size="-2">QMS Implementation</font></a></center>

D

db

I also work for a consulting/training organization. I teach anything related to ISO/TS registration (including 14001). This includes internal auditor, quality tools, identifying aspects, disciplined problem solving, even some lean manufacturing stuff.

Internal auditing is my favorite. It takes a lot out of me though. After three days, I am exhausted! I especially enjoy it when "the lights come on".

In certain ways I would rather teach, than consult. Perhaps it is related to "those who can't do...teach." :bonk:

R

Randy Stewart

We have an internal Lean Enterprise Class that we go through, mainly for new hires but we update it and all go through it again. We cover topics from company history to Global Competitiveness. My portion to teach is QOS methodology, QS/ISO, Problem Solving and analysis, FMEAs and Control Plans, A3 Report Writing and Organizational Culture.
Overall the supervisory course is about 36 hours long (annual updates) and the orientation course is around 18 hours.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
School's in session!...where's my apple?

There are several training avenues to be pursued within my organization, but I cover the broader based subjects. Training modules have been developed by several departments and are taught to people (new or those who require refresher training) by people who do the jobs.

My own list, however, includes the following:
  • Introduction to ISO 9001:2000 and Company XYZ
  • The Business Management System and You - tailored for each position within the company, depending upon their link to each (sub) clause.
  • ISO 9001:2000 and Sales - Combines the first two into one presentation, focusing on our two external Sales offices.
  • Individual training modules for the Clauses - shown to Management during our Transition phase
  • ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor - 3 day course
  • ISO 9001:2000 Refresher Internal Auditor - 1 day course
  • Document Author course - 1 day course
  • Process Mapping - 1 day course
  • Records List Management - 1/2 day course
  • Customer Complaints System - 1/2 day course
  • Using Visio - 1/2 day course
  • NCR/OFI System - 1/2 day course

I think I'm missing a few but I can't locate my index of QA Training Modules.

It is on my timeline (2003/2004) of CI projects to develop several more QA TM's in areas such as:

• FMEA
  • 5S
  • Six Sigma
  • Teamwork
  • PDCA
  • Etc.

G

Greg B

RCBeyette said:
There are several training avenues to be pursued within my organization, but I cover the broader based subjects. Training modules have been developed by several departments and are taught to people (new or those who require refresher training) by people who do the jobs.

My own list, however, includes the following:
  • Introduction to ISO 9001:2000 and Company XYZ
  • The Business Management System and You - tailored for each position within the company, depending upon their link to each (sub) clause.
  • ISO 9001:2000 and Sales - Combines the first two into one presentation, focusing on our two external Sales offices.
  • Individual training modules for the Clauses - shown to Management during our Transition phase
  • ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor - 3 day course
  • ISO 9001:2000 Refresher Internal Auditor - 1 day course
  • Document Author course - 1 day course
  • Process Mapping - 1 day course
  • Records List Management - 1/2 day course
  • Customer Complaints System - 1/2 day course
  • Using Visio - 1/2 day course
  • NCR/OFI System - 1/2 day course

I think I'm missing a few but I can't locate my index of QA Training Modules.

It is on my timeline (2003/2004) of CI projects to develop several more QA TM's in areas such as:

• FMEA
  • 5S
  • Six Sigma
  • Teamwork
  • PDCA
  • Etc.

RcB
Very detailed. This was what I was looking for. I'd like to teach most of these tiltes but unfortunately I have to compete with Safety, Environment, Personal Development and Production Training. That does not leave a lot of resources (people and hours) for me. I have a lot of lessons for these titles (PDCA, Teamwork, Proces Mapping etc) but they will probably never see the light of day. I have, however, been toying with an idea that Claes suggested in another thread and that is placing them on the intranet (they are all in powerpoint) so that those that need to review them can (I don't know if they will though).
Do you teach in modules on a rotation basis or block training several topics over a two or three day period?
I am a one man show (reduced from three) and it is increasingly difficult to find the time to train other than large blocks when I can get the personnel.

Thanks for responding. :bigwave:

Greg B

Randy

Super Moderator
I do contract training for BSI...and 1 or 2 others occasionally.

The only things I presently DO NOT teach are the Medical Device and network/system Security course subjects

G

Greg B

Randy Stewart said:
We have an internal Lean Enterprise Class that we go through, mainly for new hires but we update it and all go through it again. We cover topics from company history to Global Competitiveness. My portion to teach is QOS methodology, QS/ISO, Problem Solving and analysis, FMEAs and Control Plans, A3 Report Writing and Organizational Culture.
Overall the supervisory course is about 36 hours long (annual updates) and the orientation course is around 18 hours.

Randy,
I'd like to have refresher training. We used to... but since the company has been downsized it is getting harder. My induction used to be 6 hours and now it is a meager 1.5 hours. It is difficult to teach NCR and the document system in this time. Recently, I started getting a few hours with the line supervisors/managers once a year (during their supervisory refresher) and that lets me correct a few errant ways. It is more like fighting spot fires. I coupled the problem solving with safety and environement (separate departments) as we (finally) agreed on a method to Solve problems and carry out investigations.
Thanks for the input. :)
Greg B

R

RosieA

I hadn't noticed that this thread was here...I will have to check it more frequently, since this is an interesting topic.

I teach/have taught both on the job and at the local community college:

1. TQM concepts and tools
2. Internal Auditor training
3. Intro to ISO 9000
4. Quality in Customer Service
5. Quality in Sales
6. Personality Typing
7. Business Process Management
8. Team Building
9. Goal Setting

This is the part of the job that is fun.

Top Bottom