What Subjects do you Teach?

D

db

Sandyr said:
Howste,
I am the QS Coordinator at my plant. I have not been with the company for very long.
I am not sure how to go about doing an executive overview. I think I am the one that will have to do it, even though I am not the TS expert.
My nerves are a little racked thinking about confronting all of these top execs. and tell them the new requirements for TS and ways to fulfill them. I'm not too sure how well that will turn out.
Anyone have any suggestions that might be helpful in doing this?

Thank You

Part of the problem might be the perception of lack of expertise on your part. I've noticed that quite often the "local" person is considered not to be an expert. Management want's to hear it from someone they think is knowlegable. One way is to involve others. Your registrar might have a presentation available. Also, there are many organizations that offer one-day overviews that are relatively inexpensive. There are even those that are free, although they will have a "sales pitch" associated with them.

The bottom line is you must get the top guns involved, or you will go nuts. Ask energy!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I agree with db. It's easier for someone like me to come in and tell them what they need to do because they don't see me every day. The fact that you haven't been with the company for very long may be to your advantage, since they don't know what you don't know. Even if you don't feel completely comfortable with your experience level, they may be fine with it if you present it well. Of course you can always have me or db come and do it for you. ;)

When I do an executive overview, I usually cover the principles the standard is based on, and focus on the benefits of the requirements. I cover the requirements at a high enough level to show how the different requirements work together to benefit the business, without getting stuck in the details. They don't need to know every detail - they usually prefer to know "how does it affect me" and just enough above that to make informed decisions.

E

energy

Not even you could have done it!

howste said:
When I do an executive overview, I usually cover the principles the standard is based on, and focus on the benefits of the requirements. I cover the requirements at a high enough level to show how the different requirements work together to benefit the business, without getting stuck in the details. They don't need to know every detail - they usually prefer to know "how does it affect me" and just enough above that to make informed decisions.

db said:
The bottom line is you must get the top guns involved, or you will go nuts. Ask energy!

Our consultant had the CEO's undivided attention and solemn promise to stay involved. Nobody can tell someone who doesn't have a clue and pretends how to run a company. As superb as your talents are, of which I have no doubt, you would have said, "Bail, energy. Bail, now!" His Daddy gave him a toy and he will play with it until it breaks. The kiss of death for me was when it was time to pay the first installment to the selected Registrar. Never had a clue. Bye Bye and Merry X-mas. Yup, a year ago, 12/4/02. :bonk: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: db
D

David Hartman

Sandyr said:
Howste,
I am the QS Coordinator at my plant. I have not been with the company for very long.
I am not sure how to go about doing an executive overview. I think I am the one that will have to do it, even though I am not the TS expert.
My nerves are a little racked thinking about confronting all of these top execs. and tell them the new requirements for TS and ways to fulfill them. I'm not too sure how well that will turn out.
Anyone have any suggestions that might be helpful in doing this?

Thank You

Sandy,

Above all keep in mind that most "top execs" are ordinary Joes that have a job to do. As the old saying goes "they put their pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us". Don't let their position concern you - you are the "expert" that they are counting on to educate them on what is necessary to meet these requirements.

Then present the requirements by accentuating the benefits of the controls that are to be implemented (reduced process variation resulting in reduced cost from scrap, rework, etc.; increased customer satisfaction resulting in increased business; etc.; etc.).

Concentrate on the "possible" impacts to the bottom line (i.e. speak in monetary terms - their language).

DO NOT approach them with changes that are to be made just to meet the requirements, always illustrate some form of possible monetary benefit that can result from the change (even something as simple as: Documenting what we're doing and how we do it, enables "new hires" to become productive at a faster pace by providing them with some general directions for performing their jobs.).

Keep in mind that your job is to think about compliance and improvements, their job is to concentrate on the bottom line and improving profits - speak their language. :bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
Now we return to our topic of discussion.... ;)
One of the fun features here in the Cove is how we can go off on some tangent at the drop of a hat..or soldered joint being cold :vfunny:

Back to teaching...Starting in Janurary I'm adding IRCA accredited OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor training to my bag of tricks. I'm giving my 1st un-assisted course in Toronto in Feb 2004.

D

db

energy said:
Our consultant had the CEO's undivided attention and solemn promise to stay involved. Nobody can tell someone who doesn't have a clue and pretends how to run a company.

This is a good point, energy (as usual). I often point out that in 5.1 a), the word "communicating" is more than language. You also communicate with your feet (a much more reliable source than the mouth).

Randy said:
One of the fun features here in the Cove is how we can go off on some tangent at the drop of a hat..or soldered joint being cold :vfunny:

Back to teaching...

Sorry :eek:

Randy

Super Moderator
Oh, now I'm really upset Dave :vfunny:

Merry Christmas!!! Have a great day with your family celebrating our saviors birth.

D

David Hartman

Randy said:
Oh, now I'm really upset Dave :vfunny:

Merry Christmas!!! Have a great day with your family celebrating our saviors birth.

Randy,

Lord knows that I don't want to get someone that looks as "hungry" as you do in your avatar upset at me. :eek:

You and yours have a very merry Christmas, and may God richly bless in the coming year. :bigwave:

E

energy

Oh, we forgot...

Randy said:

Back to teaching...Starting in Janurary I'm adding IRCA accredited OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor training to my bag of tricks. I'm giving my 1st un-assisted course in Toronto in Feb 2004.

https://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=66482&postcount=26

This is when the thread de-railed from the original post. It wasn't about training auditors. :vfunny: It was about you. :vfunny:

Top Bottom