A TS 16949 Implementation through Registration Project Diary - Automotive

I'm back

I'm back after a much needed vacation.

Yesterday, the team met with the contractor to finalize the Control of Nonconforming Material Section of M,A and I. Some much needed clarification on what we do to ID nonconforming in Receiving and in Service. Rewrite and release due this week.

Also presented our metrics for the various teams and the company as a whole. The aim is to finish Measuring and Monitoring of Processes (8.2.3) but will also flesh out General Requirements (4.1), Quality Policy (5.3), Planning - Quality Objectives (5.4.1 and 5.4.1.1). Should have this written up for an 8/13 release.

We're having our first big roll out (8/10) to train the team leaders on the HR section (so they can begin to document training and get sign offs from team members on Job Descriptions), the Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Measures system (so we can document everything that is in process and begin to track new measures), and the Nonconforming Material section (so we start Identifying things and not relying on "just knowing" that it needs attention).

2 weeks since last login?

I just can't believe it.
So much to do after vacation, we missed our regular meeting on 8/5.

Had a meeting with all our various department team leaders on 8/10 to get them distributing, reviewing and signing (1 page) job descriptions. This will be backed by creation of a skills list for every team and a competency rating for each team member. Both due by 8/24. Also training on the Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Measures system. Brainstorming with individual teams to collect and document all current initiatives over the next 2 weeks. Scheduled Training on the Nonconforming material section for next week.

Anyway, another phone call with the contractor on 8/11. Some revisions based on review to MAI - Nonconforming Product sections. Reviewed the updates to MAI - Analysis of data written based on our current metrics and trackables (looks like we're OK! although we are reviving a database of customer comment cards that had been allowed to lapse). Reviewed the first pass at the Management Responsibility section. This will be complete as it now has all of the verbage and some specifics on Management review. Started on the Product Realization - Customer Related Processes section. We already have a system, just documenting it in concert with the rest of the Procedures.

Released the MAI -Nonconforming Product and Analysis of Data along with the Management Responsibility sections at the 8/13 meeting.

8/20 meeting scheduled for Release of PR-Customer-Related Processes, prep for first Management Review on 8/25 or 26, and begin work on the rest of Product Realization.

Finally, quoted 4 registrars (no I won't tell you who) and should finalize our selection this week. Details (assuming 57 employees, 1 shift, 1 site):
Three year cost w/o pre-assessment: Hi - $31,200, 20 days; lo - $24,025, 15 days
Three year cost w/ pre-assessment: Hi - $36,800, 24 days; lo - $24,025, 18 days
Pre-Assessment: Hi - $5,600, 4 days; lo - $3,675, 3 days
Initial Assessment: Hi - $11,200, 8 days; lo - $7,350, 6 days (inclusive of the 1 day on site readiness review required after 12/15/04)

Enjoy - Icy

R

rdparris

Consultants and TS16949

Quote: "As a consultant they cannot participate in any auditing activities. Also as a consultant they would be considered as a supplier (see note 1 to 7.4.1 TS2) subject to the supplier quality management requirements. As a contract employee they may or may not be allowed to participate in the audit."

Quick reference note in addition to what has already been said about the use of a consultant during the audit for TS16949:2002;

IATF Rules for certification bodies to ISO/TS 16949:2002, section 4.1 page 7 is pretty clear about this leaving little room for interpretation stating simply that "Consultants to the organization cannot participate in the audit."

Further clarification given by instructors during my RAB Accredited, AIAG ISO/TS 16949:2002 Supplier Auditor Certification training was that this also applies to contractors.

Granted, TS...like QS is going to consist of inconsistencies within the third party auditor base tied to the auditor's interpretation and understanding (Many long-time QS third party auditors will tell you they had to take the TS test several times before they passed). But, it's best to err on the side of the standard to prevent issues later on if auditors change (which they will since the same document states that different team members need to be selected to audit the site every three years - sec 3.2.)

The way I read this, and based on what the Plexus trainers are saying, participation by a consultant/contractor (non-employee) would include phone consultation during the audit. I would also think that a strict interpretation of this would limit the use of a consultant for management of ongoing internal audit functions as due to these restrictions, the consultant could never be questioned about the internal audit process.

Again, of course it's up to each third party auditor to abide by these rules. And yes, just like QS9000, not all do. This causes confusion and inconsistencies in the system (something TS wanted to avoid) because everyone interprets things differently. However, if you get a "new" auditor that follows the rules down the road, it could be messy. Again, I like to err on the side of the standard, and not the auditor. Auditors move on or themselves get corrected from time to time. I like to watch my own backside because after more than 12 years doing ISO, QS, TS fulltime I've learned you can get burned, and that third party auditors that don't follow the rules really are not doing you any favors long-term.

--RDP

Not the auditors again!

I have a supplier. His company is ISO9001:2000 registered. He will shortly be credentialed as an ISO/TS16949:2002 Lead Auditor (already ISO9K2K and QS9K). I have engaged said person as a fully qualified supplier of Internal Audit Services to support my Business Management System. He is not a consultant, he is not a contractor, he is a Qualified Supplier. Period. End of story. End of Discussion. Move on. Thank you, Icy.

Another Long Gap and Big Post

OK, here goes:

8/20 meeting released the Product Realization - Customer Related Processes. Huge discussion on Product Realization - Purchasing. Generating a 4 tier current supplier list: 1-Automotive, 2 - ISO, 3 - General non-product related supplies (filing cabinets), and 4 inactive. Supplier qualification procedure written and reviewed. Looks good. Querying Level 1 and 2 suppliers to get a certification status on file. Reviewed the whole section at the 8/26 meeting. PR-Purchasing to release on 9/17, all new suppliers will have to be prequalified as TS or ISO after that.

Going to have to create a Procedures Handbook for our Materials Team so that they have special requirements procedures available at Receiving.

Job Descriptions and Team Skills/Training Matrixes are 90% complete for everyone in the plant.

Attended team meetings for the last two weeks to provide training on the Continual Improvement, Preventive Action and Corrective Measures system. I now have all three rolling in and getting databased, assigned, completed and followed up. Yay!

Attended team meetings for the last two weeks to provide training on the Non-conforming product and process. Everyone calibrated to red tag and segregate, plus provide truth-in-advertising on First Pass Yield forms (including failure data that can be trended and analysed).

Reviving our database of Customer Feedback cards and bringing it up to current. We have 3+ years of data! Just need to enter the last 12 months or so. This will go on to support our Monitoring and Measurement - Customer Satisfaction section, along with warranty data and Customer Complaints. BTW, customer complaints will go right into our Corrective Measures Database for tracking.

Team meeting today to review the TS requirements for TS Readiness Evaluation, guidance for 8.2.1.1 Customer Satisfaction - Supplemental, and 8.5.1.1 Continual Improvement of the Organization to map out what metrics we have to support these sections and make sure that they are available and pointed out in the various procedures where the data creation or review is mandated (mostly Monitoring and Measurement and Management Review).

Finally, didn't get to Management Review yet since we interviewed registrars instead (the queue for assessment is getting longer). Management Review is now set for 9/8 (I'll let you know how it goes).

We have selected a registrar: DNV (Det Norske Veritas or The Norwegian Truth). Preliminary schedule for pre-assessment the first week of January 2005 (this cannot be the same auditor that does the registration assessment if registration is after 12/15/04), Readiness Review 3rd or 4th week (this now must be on site if your reg is after 12/15) and Registration Assessment the first week of February 2005. Oh, Saints preserve us!

-Icy (but melting fast) Mountain :bonk:

Management Review

Ok, lot's of posts on the Cove today, since I am immersing myself in Quality to prepare for the Management Review today. I have a big thick binder with all the MR Gozintas and Gozoutas. I have a two inch stack of Implementation Project Minutes, Notes, and Supporting Documents. Everyone pray for me that I can intelligently answer all questions and support them with data. :eek:

Well, it was less than 3 hours. I have some really good action items, straight from the top. Also, one of the benefits I had forgotten since I haven't done this for 6 or 7 years, Management now has a greatly enlarged appreciation for the work involved in a System Implementation Project of this magnitude, for the scope of the Quality Management System and for what benefits we will realize from it as a company. :applause:

Last edited:
Special Summary Update, Just for Claes

We started our ISO/TS16949:2002 registration project June 1, 2004.
We are about 1/2 done writing, reviewing, releasing and training to our new procedures.
The only major Sections we have left are
Design and Development (7.3), Production (7.5), Device Control (7.6), and Internal Audit (8.2.2).

Before you say, "Holy Smokes, that's most of the hard stuff", we have a fully developed Product Development Control Process and already have one product that has been through it + APQP, FMEA, MSA, and PPAP and is shipping to the customer that is requiring TS2. So, we just need to write it so that it aligns with the rest of the Q Manual. Same with Production and Calibration. Again, we are already shipping to a customer that is requiring that we comply. Internal Audit will be written and performed by an expert SUPPLIER.

We should have everything documented, implemented and trained sometime in November, followed by a complete system internal audit in late November. A round of corrective actions, and internal audit followup with another Management Review completed before December 15.

Pre-assessment early January 2005, Readiness Review late January, Registration Audit early February.
And that's the way it is, Claes. Any questions?

Icy Mountain said:
And that's the way it is, Claes. Any questions?
Not really. Thank's for the info Ice, and above all: Good luck :agree: When you're past that hurdle we hope to see you back here on a more regular basis.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
What?!! You couldn't do this all in forty days?! You must not have been using the right consultant.:eek: :lmao: :lmao:

Actually, Ice, I really appreciate the time you have taken to document the time and effort it really takes to do the job right. It may prevent someone from being misled by overly ambitious advertising "puffery.":thanks:

Ignorance may be bliss, but not in the Quality industry!

A QA Haiku: Yes, Wes.

It is theoretically possible to start from scratch and achieve ISO9001:2000 registration in 40 days (although I believe that this would be HIGHLY registrar dependent). Sidney can pipe in here, but I doubt that you could convince DNV. It is not possible to satisfy a registrar that you comply to ISO/TS16949:2002 in that amount of time. Period. Read the IATF rules and guidance.

Thanks for the appreciation, Wes, <edit: I value that very much, especially considering the regard I have for the wisdom of your posts and the thought that you obviously put into them. You have very astutely determined my motiviation. edit> but I have simply typed the project status log onto the Cove. I would have had to type it somewhere to keep track.

Last edited:
Top Bottom