NCR for Customer not updating their drawings

inspector625

Involved In Discussions
Hello Everyone,

I know this may sound like a stupid question but can I send a NCR to our Customer for not updating their drawings to include changes that they expect us to follow? They requested the change back in April of 2014. I have sent multiple emails requesting the updated drawings and don't even receive a response. Any suggestions would be helpful.:frust:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: NCR for Customer

Hi Lindsay...
Its not stupid. We see such happen everywhere.
Do not go the NCR way. It will most likely go to the trash at your customer.
Instead, stop order processing for want of updated specifications, and add a line about your lead time for delivery after receipt of clear and complete specifications.
Let the communications flow between your sales leader and customer's purchase head.

P

PaulJSmith

I agree with Somashekar. Advise your customer that you have stopped work on their order and cannot continue until you have ALL the information required to meet the terms of their Purchase Order. You could guess (or maybe even know what they want) to build it, but you have nothing to check it against without accurate drawings. Note to them that this will significantly delay delivery if not resolved immediately.

This almost always works like a miracle.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource

Do not go the NCR way.

I agree. I would not do anything that would negatively effect customer satisfaction.

I would consider suggesting some statements that the sales people could use with the customer such as "our internal auditor is a stickler" and "if we could at least get the differences in configuration from the print stated on the PO..." type of suggestions that demonstrate an easy solution.

Last minute thought: from a QC point of view, look at the customer quality requirements and see if there is a deviation or drawing change request process.

Last edited:

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions

I agree with the others. If you do not have the data you need you should not proceed. But now this is where answering these questions is tough. There is very little info in your post on your situation. Let me ask a few questions just to get it out of the way. Are you sure you don't have the data? When you said they told you what changes were required, how was that info given to you? Just an email or verbal? Or an official change notice? We have had customers give us prints and with it was a TCO (tool change order), that described, in detail, the changes. The drawings plus the TCO was the entire package.

I also wonder about the lack of response to the email requests. I may be over-thinking your post but are you sure it is a valid address? You said you had no response. Was it no response at all or have you had other emails from this person? In 10 months was there any follow up by phone?

But back to your original question, if they don't respond to a request for a print I doubt they would take the NCR seriously.

inspector625

Involved In Discussions

Thank you everyone, always so helpful, dont know what i would do with out the support you guys provide. JLyt207: The information was given to us by email back in April of last year. The difference is going from a 4 hour bake, to a 8 hour bake. I realize this is not a huge deal, however in order for our travelers, our production drawings, our ERP system and even my PPAPs to match up, their drawing needs to be revised. I email back and forth with the quality/engineering reps almost daily however in regards to the drawing changes I get absolutely no reply. This customer is our biggest customer and you are all right, I dont want to upset them. In the same though, when Im issued a NC from them I am given timelines that I am made to follow. I am just looking for a way to get through to them the importance of revising their drawings for our records. Thanks again everyone!! Hope this ramble makes sense.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Thank you everyone, always so helpful, dont know what i would do with out the support you guys provide. JLyt207: The information was given to us by email back in April of last year. The difference is going from a 4 hour bake, to a 8 hour bake. I realize this is not a huge deal, however in order for our travelers, our production drawings, our ERP system and even my PPAPs to match up, their drawing needs to be revised. I email back and forth with the quality/engineering reps almost daily however in regards to the drawing changes I get absolutely no reply. This customer is our biggest customer and you are all right, I dont want to upset them. In the same though, when Im issued a NC from them I am given timelines that I am made to follow. I am just looking for a way to get through to them the importance of revising their drawings for our records. Thanks again everyone!! Hope this ramble makes sense.

Revise it yourself with a "pencil" and send it to them pending a formal revision. Use it as an interim with notes that you are waiting for a final change. People these days are overburdened and I'll bet it is "stuck in drafting." Been there.

If you stop production, you'll just anger people.

P

PaulJSmith

Revise it yourself with a "pencil" and send it to them pending a formal revision. Use it as an interim with notes that you are waiting for a final change. People these days are overburdened and I'll bet it is "stuck in drafting." Been there.

Potentially true. However, if you "Proceed-At-Risk" without customer approval, you could end up stuck with a quantity of product the customer can't or won't use.

If they are having daily communications about other topics, but refuse to answer a simple question regarding a drawing, there is clearly something more going on there. The potential to delay their delivery promises may jolt them into doing what they should have already done last year. Perhaps communications at a higher level would bear more fruit.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

The information was given to us by email back in April of last year. ...SNIP.... I am just looking for a way to get through to them the importance of revising their drawings for our records.
Consider yourself lucky because the process change has been communicated to you in writing (email). Many customers make process/product/order changes and VERBALLY communicate with the suppliers, leaving no paper trail, so if and when the product hits the fan, no document leads to the right culprit.

If I were you, I would:

1. change any internally controlled documentation needed to define the baking process and update the bake time.
2. issue a revised sales order to the client with a CLEAR mention to the revised process; maybe even increasing the product pricing by a few cents to justify the additional energy and time you have to spend on processing the part. The most important thing is that you have a document showing that you changed the process based on the CUSTOMER input.

While you are totally justified to expect the customers to do their part in process control and revise the drawing some corporations are extremely slow in reacting.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

The OP has taken the due time and made communication in order to resolve requirements related to product with the customer. Therefore when he professionally makes a review prior to commitment to supply product to the customer, and makes a customer communication about this to resolve., this does not equate to stop production, as the OP is well within his QMS boundries.

Top Bottom