How to change Minitab Decimal Places

B

Brad Gover - 2010

Hi all, I am now new to minitab and do not know how to change the number of decimal places in say Gage R&R cross. I have inputed 5 decimal points in the worksheet. The calculations in ANOVA shows only two decimal places thus all values for p are zero. In the raw data the 2nd decimal place dos not change thus the zero output. How can I change the output to report to 5 decimal places. I don't perfer to use multipliers. Is there a setting area where I can specify the number of decimal places? Appriciate your help.
Thanks Brad.

A

Allattar

Re: Minitab Sig figures How to change

You cannot change the decimal places in the session window unfortunately.
At least not that I have found.

Just curious but why do you need a p-value to 5 decimal places?
Or have i misunderstood?

B

Barbara B

Re: Minitab decimal places - How to change?

Just found this thread and want to add some (hopefully useful) additional informations:

First:
You cannot change the numbers of decimal places in Minitabs session window (unfortunately).

For some methods / features you can get them if you store results in the worksheet, but not for ANOVA-tables. (That works for metrics such as mean Stat > Save descriptive statistics and e. g. coefficients from GLMs Storage > Coefficients).

Second:
You can get more information from your MSA-data if you run Stat > ANOVA > GLM in addition to Stat > Quality Tools > MSA > Gage R&R(crossed). Enter your data as response and write parts testers parts*testers in the model field. If the interaction parts*testers is not significant, you can delete it from the model field. To get the same model Minitab uses in the MSA-menu, you have to put additionally testers parts (only main factors without interaction term parts*testers) in the random field below the model field.

The ANOVA-table for GLMs provides one more decimal place in column SS, MS and F than ANOVA-tables for Gage R&R(crossed). The number of decimal places for p-values remains 3 in both outputs.

Third:
p-values and F-test-values contain different informations. Columns with SS, MS and F are based on the dispersion in your data/response due to different sources (parts, testers, parts*testers). p-values are probabilities which answer the question "does the changes in my response happen by chance (p>alpha) or is there a real effect due to changes in source-settings (p<alpha)?"

alpha is usually set to 5%=0.05 (risk for type I error), sometimes to 1% if the risk has to be smaller. (Values of alpha below 1%=0.01 are very unusual.) So if you take the three decimal places for p-values Minitab and many other statistical programs provide you can make the decision if a specific source has a real effect on your response.

B

Barbara B

The post above is still valid for Minitab R16.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Is this still valid in the current version of Minitab?

Top Bottom