PPAP Approval - Customer approval of PSW (part submission warrant)

Peters

Quite Involved in Discussions
Maybe somebody can answer my question.
1.Is customer sign on PSW - approval of all information included in PPAP documents?
2.Is customer sign on PSW - approval of all deviations and incompleteness included in PPAP documents?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: PPAP Approval

Maybe somebody can answer my question.
1.Is customer sign on PSW - approval of all information included in PPAP documents?
2.Is customer sign on PSW - approval of all deviations and incompleteness included in PPAP documents?

A signed PSW does mean more than just approval of paperwork.

PPAP approval means:

Approved indicates that the part or material, including all sub-components, meets all customer requirements. The organization is therefore authorized to ship production quantities of the product, subject to releases from the customer scheduling activity.

Incompleteness of PPAP documents can bite you in the butt later on when discovered....

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Peters

Some TS auditors think - customer sign on PSW is only formal approval, not substantial/essential approval. They say - supplier can't claim that supplier deviations and nonconformities are approved because of customer sign on PSW.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Some TS auditors think - customer sign on PSW is only formal approval, not substantial/essential approval. They say - supplier can't claim that supplier deviations and nonconformities are approved because of customer sign on PSW.

The customer's "approval authority" may not catch certain incomplete PPAP documents, but keep in mind that all PPAP files to be maintained at your facility are subject to 3rd party audits. Any smart auditor would take a peek at those once in a while....;) They are expected to be complete, up to date (living documents) and meet all your customer's PPAP requirements. I would not gamble on those....

P.S. During my audits, I found more than I bother to count....:mg:

Stijloor.

Peters

Let's consider an example:
One interesting for customer characteristic has Cpk=0,8. And this information is in capability study in PPAP documents. If supplier has customer sign on PSW - is it customer agreement for such capability? Can supplier claim this?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Let's consider an example:
One interesting for customer characteristic has Cpk=0,8. And this information is in capability study in PPAP documents. If supplier has customer sign on PSW - is it customer agreement for such capability? Can supplier claim this?

It all starts with what the customer requires. A sign-off by the customer on the PSW by itself does not constitute a change in the previously agreed upon requirements. You can not substitute PSW sign-off with determination of (new or changed) customer requirements. Be cautious!

The classic and safe answer is always: "When in doubt, ask the Customer.":)

I am curious to find out how my Fellow (automotive) Covers view this scenario.
I am conservative (read: safe ;)) in my responses.

Stijloor.

Top Bottom