Controlled Documents vs. Signage Papers (ie, reminders, general information)

R

Rubbermullet

Hi everyone,

We had a recent NC at our TS16949 external audit regarding uncontrolled documents on the machines. During problem solving we identified the need to differentiate between documents which need to be controlled and those which are more like signage (ie, reminders, general information).

We want to write guidelines into our Doc Control procedure to define what constitutes a document, and what is ‘signage’. I feel this is currently a bit of a grey area, and am looking for ideas for a simple definition of what constitutes a document (must be controlled), and what’s signage/general information/reminders (doesn’t need to be controlled).

My feeling is it’s around whether the information is to control a process, but it could be argued that signs saying things like “Do not switch off” or “keep this area clean” are process controls, but common sense would say these don’t need controlling.

If anyone has a good distinction as to when a document should be controlled (and when not), I’d be very grateful, for the help.

Thanks,
Adam

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi everyone,

We had a recent NC at our TS16949 external audit regarding uncontrolled documents on the machines. During problem solving we identified the need to differentiate between documents which need to be controlled and those which are more like signage (ie, reminders, general information).

We want to write guidelines into our Doc Control procedure to define what constitutes a document, and what is ‘signage’. I feel this is currently a bit of a grey area, and am looking for ideas for a simple definition of what constitutes a document (must be controlled), and what’s signage/general information/reminders (doesn’t need to be controlled).

My feeling is it’s around whether the information is to control a process, but it could be argued that signs saying things like “Do not switch off” or “keep this area clean” are process controls, but common sense would say these don’t need controlling.

If anyone has a good distinction as to when a document should be controlled (and when not), I’d be very grateful, for the help.

Thanks,
Adam

It's best to let the standard be your guide. Look at 4.2.1(d) (ISO/TS 16949-2009), where it says you need "...documents, including records, determined by the organization to be necessary to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes."

Then look at 4.2.3, where there's a list of requirements for document control. If you have determined that certain "signage" isn't necessary to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of your processes, it doesn't have to be controlled. On the other hand, if you determine that something does need to controlled, let 4.2.3 be your guide.

Top Bottom