Document Control (Need an Approval Form) - ISO 9001 clause 4.2.3

• Thread starter somthinboutmary
  • Start date
S

somthinboutmary

I have searched for the past hour for a document approval form (used to distribute potential changes to documents for approval). I have yet to find any examples of such a form.

I would like something very simple (we're a small shop). Does anyone have any examples? Or can you please point me to a thread where I can find a form example.

Thanks

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Are you looking for a piece of paper you can pass around or something like that? It would probably be easier to distribute a document via e-mail and let folks e-mail back their approval (or disapproval).

S

somthinboutmary

Although I would love to do that...unfortunately some of the people who need to approve the documents do not have access to computers or have email.

I do need a form that will be passed around with the document. The one I have is too long and more of a hassle than anyone wants to deal with (therefore they just don't fill one out when they need a change).

Marc

Leader
somthinboutmary said:
The one I have is too long and more of a hassle than anyone wants to deal with (therefore they just don't fill one out when they need a change).
Hmmm - Are you wanting an Approval form or a Change Request form?

R

ralphsulser

somthinboutmary said:
Although I would love to do that...unfortunately some of the people who need to approve the documents do not have access to computers or have email.

I do need a form that will be passed around with the document. The one I have is too long and more of a hassle than anyone wants to deal with (therefore they just don't fill one out when they need a change).

Here is one attached that I developed for our use to track changes and approvals, plus related documents that need changed also.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• Doc.chg.request form QC-SD-010.xls
    20 KB · Views: 2,697
S

somthinboutmary

I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one form. Is that asking too much?

I want it very simple, but I also want to meet the requirements of ISO 9001 (AS9100). There are only one or two people that ever request document changes. I am the only one that modifies documents. There are only one or two other people that approve document changes.

Being such a small company, it would be so much easier for them to just tell me what they want changed, I make the changes, and they sign off on a distribution list. Is that good enough to meet the requirements? Or do we have to document what changes they want to make?

I apologize if I'm not making any sense, too much coffee causes me to ramble :tg:

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Form & Flow

somthinboutmary said:
I have searched for the past hour for a document approval form (used to distribute potential changes to documents for approval). I have yet to find any examples of such a form.

I would like something very simple (we're a small shop). Does anyone have any examples? Or can you please point me to a thread where I can find a form example.

Thanks

somthinboutmary,

If it helps, attached is a form and a flow to do as you wish!

Doug

Attachments

• Form 103-001 QMS PD CR Blank d 101904.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,278
  • PDCR Flow pg1 d 040805.vsd
    98 KB · Views: 1,034
  • PDCR Flow pg1 d 040805.doc
    44 KB · Views: 974

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:
somthinboutmary said:
I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one form. Is that asking too much?

No.

somthinboutmary said:
Being such a small company, it would be so much easier for them to just tell me what they want changed, I make the changes, and they sign off on a distribution list. Is that good enough to meet the requirements? Or do we have to document what changes they want to make?

It's always a good idea to record everything relevant to the change process, especially the name of the person requesting the change, and his/her rationale. It just makes good sense. The form that Ralph posted should be a good starting point; you can adapt it to your particular needs.

Here's what should be included, imo:
  • Document # or other unique identifier
  • Name of person requesting change
  • Current revision
  • New revision (if approved)
  • Date of request
  • Reason(s) for request
  • Description of request
  • Action(s) taken
  • Approvals
It shouldn't be very difficult to kludge together a form that will do just what you want it to do.

somthinboutmary said:
I apologize if I'm not making any sense, too much coffee causes me to ramble :tg:
No apologies necessary. I won't say what too much coffee causes me to do, but if you'll excuse me...:lol: .

Marc

Leader
somthinboutmary said:
Being such a small company, it would be so much easier for them to just tell me what they want changed, I make the changes, and they sign off on a distribution list. Is that good enough to meet the requirements?
Yes - But you need to keep a history of changes. You can do that by keeping copies of the 'old' document. One of my small clents takes a copy of the document and marks it up in Red Pen. Then makes the actual changes to the computer file and distributes. That 'Red Penned' document is kept as a 'revision history' document.

There are a lot of simple ways to do this in a small company.

Top Bottom