Definition SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) vs. Work Instructions - Differences?

T

tomjess

Can anyone tell me the difference between SOP's and Work Instuctions.

Thanking you in advance

J

JRKH

Kinda vague

tomjess said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between SOP's and Work Instuctions.

Thanking you in advance

My take on them is that SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) are generally not as detailed as Work Instructions. In your quality structure they would be between the QAM and work Instructions.

I believe the terms are fairly interchangable though. Just depends on how the system is set up.

JAmes

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I use what I call "quality procedures" (others might call them SOPs) to address the quality requirements set forth by the quality manual. The work instructions I've established deal more on a product specific level (how do you clean a part, special assembly instructions, etc).

Hope this helps.

(Don't forget the old ISO 9000 documentation pyramid!)

R

ralphsulser

My usage has been that SOPs are Level 2 docs that define: Who, What, When

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define: How

This has worked good for us in both QS9000 and TS16949:2002

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator
In reality the same as between an envelope and a device to protect and contain a letter during mailing.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
ralphsulser said:
My usage has been that SOPs are Level 2 docs that define: Who, What, When

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define: How

This has worked good for us in both QS9000 and TS16949:2002

Procedures are level 2 docs that define Who, What, When.

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define How.

I has seen SOPs at some companies that fit the criteria of Level 2, and SOPs at other companies that fit Level 3. It would depend on what information your SOPs are trying to convey as to what level they below.

Randy

Super Moderator
Miner said:
Procedures are level 2 docs that define Who, What, When.

Work Instructions are Level 3 docs that define How.

I has seen SOPs at some companies that fit the criteria of Level 2, and SOPs at other companies that fit Level 3. It would depend on what information your SOPs are trying to convey as to what level they below.

Who says? Where is this written in the "thou shalts" of life or business?

It's all gibberish and gobbeltygoop,

Bubba

Involved In Discussions
As others have said before me, it all depends on how your system is set up. At my current company we had SOPs that told us Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. Since we were acquired by another company, these SOPs have been edited into Work Instructions and are now accompanied by process maps. Don't get caught up too much in the difference at someone else's business. Just make sure they are defined in your documentation system for your business needs.

R

ralphsulser

Yepper, thats right.:agree1:
I said how we use them for our business system.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Bubba said:
As others have said before me, it all depends on how your system is set up. At my current company we had SOPs that told us Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How. Since we were acquired by another company, these SOPs have been edited into Work Instructions and are now accompanied by process maps. Don't get caught up too much in the difference at someone else's business. Just make sure they are defined in your documentation system for your business needs.

They are all "instructional documents" of one sort or another. They all give guidance, information and instruction. What you call them is up to you.

Top Bottom