Work Instructions - What are the Requirements for Work Instructions?

R

rharold

What exactly is the requirement for work instructions? Does everything a company do need to be documented? Or do you only document/write work instructions for things specific things? I'm not clear on the requirement. Thanks

Ryan

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Work instructions-whats the requirement

rharold said:
What exactly is the requirement for work instructions? Does everything a company do need to be documented? Or do you only document/write work instructions for things specific things? I'm not clear on the requirement. Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

If you are talking about ISO then you would only need 6 procedures as required. But there is a catch in that requirement. You would need to determine which of the processes are critical to your company and establish some type of control over those processes, in my opinion. This control could be procedures/work instructions, flow charts and control plans. That would have to be determined by Top Management.

Coury Ferguson

R

rharold

Is there a specific standard that says that, which I may have missed?

C

Craig H.

You can also use training. You just have to make sure your people are competent for the task they are doing. This is where we get to decide what balance is needed for OUR situation. What is appropriate for the workers we have? How well are they trained? What language(s) do they speak? Can they read?

For a system to be effective (the real goal here) WE have to use our heads and creativity to come up with solutions that work. Sorry, it is not as easy as having a prescriptive approach. With the freedom of the 2000 standard comes the responsibility of making it work.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

rharold said:
Is there a specific standard that says that, which I may have missed?

Which part are you specifically asking about? The specified requirements in ISO for the 6 procedures or that the company will determine and as necessary document critical processes?

Coury Ferguson

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

I figure: as needed to consistently make your product or provide your service.

I use them only as necessary for use as training documents and to standardize methods when there is chaos. I don't make it a habit to document every step of every process as I don't want to document myself into a corner.

R

rharold

It is very easy to forget that the idea here is to develop quality control systems that actually work and do better for the business while meeting the ISO requirements rather than just meeting some requirement. It's easy, at least for me, to lose sight of the goal.

Thanks.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

Discordian said:
I figure: as needed to consistently make your product or provide your service.

I use them only as necessary for use as training documents and to standardize methods when there is chaos. I don't make it a habit to document every step of every process as I don't want to document myself into a corner.

I agree with you Discordian. Don't tie you company down too much. KISS.

Coury Ferguson

P

pldey42

The requirements for documented procedures are 4.2.1 (a), (b), (c) and (d).

(c) calls for the six that are mandated, but if you only do these six you don't have a management system. To understand this, I think it helps to keep in mind that the objective of an ISO 9001-compliant QMS is to help people to work in a repeatable, predictable fashion so that products and services are of depenable, known quality.

I think it's helpful to think of (b) and (d) between them as the heart of your management system, with (c) the heart of the infrastructure that supports it, all aligned towards (a), your objectives.

For the quality manual, (b), *please* don't rewrite ISO 9001 replacing "shall" with "will", as so many do. It's quicker to say, "we will be compliant with ISO 9001" and write a real quality manual. I find it's often helpful to think of the audience for the quality manual as the customer: what do they want to know about how we do business?

For the "douments needed by the organisation" I think it's helpful to think of the audience for them as new hires: what do we want to tell someone new to the job about how we want them to work? (To answer this question I'd ask the people who do the work. I'd remind them of their first day at work, when everyone told them to do what to do and how to do it -- but they got different stories from different people, often wrong ;-) By keeping this audience firmly in mind you can also decide what to put into training materials, and what needs to be to hand as day-to-day procedures.

Keep in mind also that people are more effective when they understand the context of their work, the surrounding processes, departments, work flows. That's often best communicated with process maps, with a quality manual bringing the whole thing together with an overview of "how we do business around here."

How much detail? Well, what's useful? Here's an example: I scoffed at a company once when I saw them document the arrangement of cones for the parking lot in winter snows ... until I saw that they got two feet or more of snow in their Illinois winters, there were serious safety hazards for workers walking between one building and the next, tripping over now-hidden concrete ridges surrounding the flower beds, and the people arranging the cones (so you could avoid hidden hazards) were temporary workers. "Useful" in this context meant "avoiding insurance claims for injuries."

Of course you'll usually be more concerned with design, assembly and test procedures in a manufacturing environment, but the same principle applies: if a document tells someone something useful, it's worth having.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

Top Bottom