Industry Standard or rules or best practices pertaining to Automotive Process Flows?

D

Doktor

:thanx:Good afternoon and Happy Easter!

I'm a QE for a large truck part manufacturer, we're going through a complete document revision and have some good tools in place. My question regarding Process Flows is driven from some confusion in the engineering ranks as to how we should lay out process steps. Some think we should minimize flows by including any check that is not done 100% to the step it is performed and not place a seperate step on the flow.

Generally I don't see anything in the AIAG manuals about this and want to pick your brains about standard practices or rules governing Process Flow's. I attached an example of what we've come up with. :frust:

Attachments

• 6140 - PF.doc
    255 KB · Views: 273

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Industry Standard or rules or best practices pertaining to Automotive Process Flo

:thanx:Good afternoon and Happy Easter!

I'm a QE for a large truck part manufacturer, we're going through a complete document revision and have some good tools in place. My question regarding Process Flows is driven from some confusion in the engineering ranks as to how we should lay out process steps. Some think we should minimize flows by including any check that is not done 100% to the step it is performed and not place a seperate step on the flow.

Generally I don't see anything in the AIAG manuals about this and want to pick your brains about standard practices or rules governing Process Flow's. I attached an example of what we've come up with. :frust:

AIAG does not prescribe a PFD format, so you're left to do what you think is best for your situation. The PFD should clearly show the process steps and provide linkage to the PFMEA and control plan. If you do that, and your PFD suits the needs of your business, you'll be OK.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Industry Standard or rules or best practices pertaining to Automotive Process Flo

I think this is a very good process flow. The point of the process flow is to provide a map for the other documents - PFMEA and beyond. That and the numbered print are the GPS of the process. If the inspection is a part of the process step, it should not be a separate step. If the product moves to another station for inspection, then it is a separate step. It will garble the control plan, etc. If the inspection is a separate process, and engineering thinks it should be in the process, then they are right - the sooner you do a check, the sooner you can address any irregularities.

Last edited:
D

Doktor

I appreciate you taking the time. Your answer helped me. :agree:

Top Bottom