Perception can outweigh reality

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
"Perception can outweigh reality"
What on earth is the old fuddy duddy ranting about now?

A lot of folks here in the Cove are aware I spend a lot of time writing and counseling about

1. How to get a job
  2. How to keep a job
  3. When to look for a new job
  4. How to get promoted
From time to time, I pick out a specific aspect of those processes listed above and focus on how it affects the success or failure of the outcome.

Recently, I ran a thread about potential negative fallout from electronic messaging (Privacy of communications - a common myth)

Today's screed addresses those folks who say, "Who cares what they think about me? I do my job and I do it darn well!

The problem with that is precisely that bosses and potential bosses rarely take the time to look past the immediate picture an incumbent or candidate presents when he writes or talks (on the phone, in an interview, to bosses, coworkers, customers, friends, etc.)

It is a sad, but true aphorism,
"You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression."

If you

1. have a messy workplace (despite the fact YOU "know where everything is.")
  2. talk and swear like a drunk in a bar
  3. use poor grammar and even poorer vocabulary choices
  4. mumble and mutter instead of speaking clearly
  5. dress like a slob or a tart or in any other way inappropriately for the job
  6. have poor personal hygiene and/or halitosis from food, tobacco, alcohol
  7. write incoherently (being too prolix when brevity is called for can also be a strike)
  8. spell poorly to the point others may think you mean one word when you mean another or worse, that you just aren't smart or educated enough and probably that lack of intelligence or education may signal you can't do the job
  9. still speak with a strong accent making it difficult for others to decipher your verbal communication (especially after years in the country different from the one of your native language)
then, bosses and potential bosses feel justified in making a snap decision to pass you by in favor of someone without any of those characteristics which may be PERCEIVED as indicating poor job performance.

Especially in today's economic climate, bosses have numerous candidates for most positions either open or about to open. With so many candidates, they rarely take time to look further at a candidate who gets a strike because of poor communication skills or poor appearance, regardless whether the boss perceives those poor skills in formal documents or interviews or casual speech and writing in electronic communication to customers, suppliers, friends, and coworkers.

What does this boil down to?
Simply, it means EVERYTHING we wear, do, say, or write can have a positive or negative impact on the perception people have of us, regardless if it is at work, on Facebook, or in the company cafeteria, or corner saloon with friends.

By now, we've all heard at least one horror story about some lovestruck teenager sending an explicit electronic picture of himself/herself to the object of affection, only to be betrayed and humiliated when it is spread all over the internet.

As I wrote in Privacy of communications - a common myth, almost everything that happens (whether by us or to us) has a possibility of being captured and retrieved by a boss or HR snoop and used for us or against us.

I, myself, found my picture among some campaign literature for a political candidate whose opponent I was supporting. A little investigation by me soon revealed we had both attended a nonpolitical fundraiser for a local charity and the camera angle implied the candidate and I were engaged in close private conversation. In fact, he had asked me where the men's room was! Since I'm a contributor, not a candidate, folks really only cared whether my checks kept coming, but I did take some ribbing at my next meeting with my own candidate. What if I had been a paid or volunteer campaign worker for my candidate? Might someone have questioned whether I was a traitor?

Positive perception:
The good news is that we can start today to create a positive impression!

1. Take a good look at yourself in a full length mirror before you leave your house. Do you present the picture of a neat, alert, organized person dressed appropriately for the activities in which you will engage?
  2. Take a good look at your work space (home and at the job.) Would someone else looking think, "Wow! This person is organized and on the ball."
  3. Buy a small, cheap MP3 player with recording capability and record your end of conversations you have in person or over the phone for an hour or two. Play them back in private. Are you cursing and using slang? Do you interject with a lot of "crutch" words and phrases (you know, like, snap, actually, er, uh, and a, see, OK, and so on.) Is there a possibility you are mispronouncing words or using the wrong word? Check some out on line with one of those dictionaries where they have an accurate oral pronunciation guide or link, especially the ones you were never quite sure of - I recall one junior exec who never graduated to senior who continually said "report" when he meant "rapport" - check the pronunciations yourself and guess why he never made senior grade.)
  4. Take some of your writing (if it is not against security regulations) to a friend or even down to a local community college teacher and have that person evaluate your writing - stress you want an HONEST evaluation. Many folks will be surprised at the evaluation.
If you find yourself lacking in appearance, workplace neatness, sloppy speaking and writing, there are many remedies to get the basics, ranging from free to expensive, to help you create a positive impression. Today is a great time to start!

Contributing well-written work documents on your job, articles to trade journals (even a lowly ASQ Section newsletter), speaking up at work meetings, association meetings, even at your kid's PTA, are all good ways to make a positive impression once you have the basics down. The idea is to overwhelm a new casual observer with your good impressions to keep the old bad impressions buried.

Bottom line:
The point I'm trying to make here is that it doesn't matter what the reality is, only the perception and first impression count with most people, especially bosses. If we hope to achieve success in our careers, we need to pay attention to the perception we present and make every effort for that perception to be positive.

Last edited:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
"Perception can outweigh reality"
What on earth is the old fuddy duddy ranting about now?

Bottom line:
The point I'm trying to make here is that it doesn't matter what the reality is, only the perception and first impression count with most people, especially bosses. If we hope to achieve success in our careers, we need to pay attention to the perception we present and make every effort for that perception to be positive.

I fully agree with you. But one small opinion to add, what stands at the end of the day is also the latest impression somebody makes (that's exactly why I have the signature what I have).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I fully agree with you. But one small opinion to add, what stands at the end of the day is also the latest impression somebody makes (that's exactly why I have the signature what I have).
Absolutely true! (Assuming you last until the end of the day. Often, the first impression is the last you have an opportunity to make.)

AnaMariaVR2

Maintaining an high level of performance, absolutely is essential...if you make it to the end. This reminds me of the hunting cavemen story (which right now its source escapes me). For some reason, I associate the story with Dale Carnegie although I'm unable to confirm it tonight maybe b/c it is late & I'm tired.

For purpose of the story, lets say a group of 4 cavemen left the tribe to hunt for food & bring it back to their clan at the cave. Caveman #3 has the know-how, leadership skills, discovers the bear footprints, follows, designs a killing strategy to the end and acts upon a fierce bear. Caveman #3 takes the initiative and kills the bear while the others were either doubting it was worth the effort or just needed some rest & relaxation while Caveman #3 was doing all the work. On their way back to their homecave, Caveman #3 was so exhausted that he asked the group to tight & carry the bear back home. Upon their arrival, the tribe gave thanks & credit to Caveman #2 & #4 because those were the ones coming back with the dead bear on their shoulders, bringing food to the clan. And that was the last impression they got from that group of hunters. Caveman #2 & #4 were the heroes, not #3. It is about who brings the bear home, a product or a solution to the table...even when the reality is so different, the perception has staying power becoming hard to disprove.

Morale of the story:
-Perception can outweigh reality.
-Be alert & active so no one steals your thunder.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Maintaining an high level of performance, absolutely is essential...if you make it to the end. <SNIP>
Morale of the story:
-Perception can outweigh reality.
-Be alert & active so no one steals your thunder.
thanks for the story!

Are you interested in extending this thread to talk about how to blow your own horn without coming off as a tedious braggart?

The point of keeping your light in front of the bosses is not to engage in overkill - Too much information deadens the senses (and the interest) of the typical boss.

As a way of keeping the bosses apprised of your efforts and successes, we often talk about sending copies of your work product to your bosses (even if they are not directly involved in the details.) Let me suggest that a boss would rather have a brief summary of a report (just enough to keep him "in the loop") rather than a complete copy of all the details. The beauty of electronic communication is that you can always include a link in your brief report to where you have the complete details stored on the in-house network. The good news is the boss can read the whole report with all the details if he wants. The bad news is that you have to do a first class job, not a quick hash, because if he does read it and finds it a jumble of jargon and "padding" you can be labeled a pompous, prolix buffoon wannabe in his eyes and never get the attaboy you were hoping for.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
In the process, One has to be careful enough to not portray the picture of being a$$ kisser in front of his/her peers. There is a thin line separating the two really, IMO. Basically it is all about selling oneself in the Market (the Organization), still getting the rapport going with guys having x, y, z... attitudes. Not everytime it is as easy as it sounds; Sometimes got to get into a compromise formula.

Top Bottom