5 Whys powerpoint .ppt training presentation - Attached

J

jbmx1

Hi Friends:

I was asked to prepare a presentation about 5 Whys for training purposes to the Mfg Engineers and I came up with this one. I refused to follow the academic approach and I kinda put whatever I have learned in my 12 years experience in the Quality area but I would like your opinion on the presentation.

Comments are more than welcome.

Regards,

Javier

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Well Done

I liked it. I think you will really get your point across, especially if you 'do a 5 why' with the group right away. It could be some obvious problem from daily life, just to help them get the practice.........

Great stuff! :)

J

jmp4429

I think the content is good, but I have a few suggestions.

-If the presentation is meant to be e-mailed to your engineers, I think the text is fine. If someone is actually going to be presenting the material in a training session, I recommend breaking up the text into smaller sections. Those long paragraphs are a lot to read during a presentation.

-When I first heard of the 5 Whys, I could not see how this technique would really be a helpful problem solving tool. It was not until I saw an example of the 5 Whys in action that I saw how it actually worked. You might put a full example into the presenationk, such as:

Problem: The press is leaking oil

WHY is the press leaking oil?
There is a crack in the oil filter.
WHY is the filter cracked?
Because it gets too hot during use.
WHY does it get so hot?
Because the cooling system isn't working properly.
WHY doesn't the cooling system work?
There is too much dust on the cooling coils.
WHY is there too much dust on the coils?
The air intake filter is missing.

Solution: Replace the air intake filter.

J

jbmx1

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. They are really helpful. As a matter of fact, I will be presenting this to a group of 20+ people and I will take your recommendation and break the text into smaller paragraphs.

As for the example, I would like to find an everyday type of case that anybody can relate to, not necessarily related to any technical stuff so the not-so-technical will take advantage of this material as well.

Thanks!

D

ddunn

Here is a real example I found on the web while searching for examples of 5 Whys.

Problem:
The Washington Monument is deteriorating

1. Why is the monument deteriorating?
Because harsh chemicals are used to clean the monument.

2. Why are harsh chemicals used.
The harsh chemicals are need to clean the bird droppings. There are a lot of birds.

3. Why are there a lot of birds?
Because the birds eat the spiders. There are a lot of spiders.

4. Why are there a lot of spiders?
Because the spiders eat the gnats. There are a lot of gnats.

5. Why are there a lot of gnats?
Because the lights a dusk attract the gnats.

Solution:
Turn the lights on ½ hour later.

Good start Javier, and good suggestions so far :agree1:
jmp4429 said:
If someone is actually going to be presenting the material in a training session, I recommend breaking up the text into smaller sections. Those long paragraphs are a lot to read during a presentation.
I agree, and as a matter of fact I would suggest a substantial reduction of the text mass. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, but there is an obvious risk that people will sit there reading the text from the slides rather than listening to you.

I suggest a look at this thread: Color Psychology and Powerpoint Apart from colours it also deals with no. of slides and text volume.

/Claes

B

Bigfoot

jbmx1 said:
Thanks for your comments. They are really helpful. As a matter of fact, I will be presenting this to a group of 20+ people and I will take your recommendation and break the text into smaller paragraphs.

As for the example, I would like to find an everyday type of case that anybody can relate to, not necessarily related to any technical stuff so the not-so-technical will take advantage of this material as well.

Thanks!
In many 5 why analysis I have seen / used the word therefore has been added to the format to help those using it to look at what they have constructed to ensure that each of the responses to the why question addresses the previous cause.

Attachments

R

RickRay

Javier,

I agree with the comments on providing an example. Real life examples are always good. I found one small typo on page two of your presentation, under the Root Cause analysis tools. Ishikawa Charts and Cause and Effect charts are the same.

Rick

J

jbmx1

5 Why's Thanks

I am really glad that I had the idea of showing this at the Cove. I have made some changes based on your comments here. I noticed the Ishikawa chart and cause and effect duplication while reviewing it and made a note to change it but then I forgot to do it. Good catch!

Thanks!

Javier

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 5 Whys Root Cause Training Course attachment - Powerpoint .ppt Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
John Predmore 5-Whys on 3 Levels Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
J 3-Legged 5 Whys - Help guide for Internal Corrective Action System Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
W Does anyone have a Training Exercise for 5 Whys Problem Solving? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
R Root Cause 5 Whys for an incorrect board being used in a product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A 5 Whys Root Cause Training Materials wanted Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
M 5 Whys in Print Production - Overs Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
A Failure Analysis - can anyone recommend a method to use other than '5-Whys"? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
Sidney Vianna Whys is this posted in ANAB's website but not on PJR's? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
J 5 Whys Template - Excel .xls Spreadsheet IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J G8D File - A file for the search of Nonconformance Root Cause - G8D vs. 5 Whys Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 59
Q Looking for a 5 WHYs Example - 5 Why for a service (transactional) issue Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
J GM 5 Whys Corrective Action Process - Is anyone familiar with this 'format'? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
I 5 Whys Corrective Action Investigation - Late PPAP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F ISO 9001:2015 - Employee Training Powerpoint .ppt wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
D PowerPoint Presentation Summarizing ISO90001:2015 Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Basic Internal Auditor Training Powerpoint File Internal Auditing 26
optomist1 How to Delete a Powerpoint File Password After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
eldercare First Day Basic Quality Training Powerpoint Presentation or other materials wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
M Converting PowerPoint Presentations into MS Word Documents After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Q Presenting the Root Cause result in a one slide .ppt Powerpoint file Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
K Can anyone share tutorial on excel and powerpoint? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
C Medical Device cGMP Training Powerpoint Presentation - Request 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
Jim Wynne What did they do before Powerpoint? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Ajit Basrur Global Quality Metrics Report PowerPoint Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T Very Basic, Easy Document Control Training - Preferably Powerpoint .ppt Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Calibration Training Material - Powerpoint presentation with the calibration steps Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
L TL 9000 measurements 4.0 - powerpoint .ppt presentation? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
Wes Bucey Life After Death by PowerPoint Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 15
N Using the narration feature in powerpoint as a training tool Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
M Powerpoint PPT presentations on Quality Service Industry Specific Topics 16
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
C Exporting Minitab outputs to other programs (Powerpoint)?? Using Minitab Software 5
T Which digital [PowerPoint type] projector gives you more bang for the buck... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
G Internal Auditor Training powerpoint .ppt Training Tool wanted Internal Auditing 4
L Powerpoint Projector Suggestions? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Wes Bucey Recommend a PowerPoint projector for road warrior? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Sidney Vianna Converting PowerPoint presentations into video - software recommendations? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Tim Folkerts No Point To Powerpoint Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 22
L Understanding IS/TS 16949 - Employee Awareness Training .ppt powerpoint presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
C ISO 17025 overview PowerPoint file ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Internal Audit Training Materials needed - Preferably Powerpoint .ppt file Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
B Visual Factory Rules Needed - Powerpoint .ppt presentation would be nice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
B Quality System Basics & 7 Tools in Practice .ppt Powerpoint File Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 20
ScottK My recent ISO9001 Kickoff Presentation - powerpoint .ppt - By request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ajit Basrur ISO 13485 Training Material - MS .ppt Powerpoint file needed Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Delphi Level Scheduling Logistics powerpoint .ppt Course Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
J Process Audit Check List .pdf powerpoint file Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 42