Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of improv?

T

totty

Hello!

I'm trying to change the way we manage those actions as we have found hard to work with. So here I will explain the way we are thinking of changing our system regarding the actions management:

OFI = opportunity of improvement
A = all the "other" actions
PA = preventive actions
NC = nonconformity

Our "other" actions are preventive actions but we consider them less important. We keep this separation because is really hard to find a cause (8.5.3.a ISO 9001:2008) for them. Even so they are actions like "release promotions of this family of articles" or "select new suppliers for this category of products". It's also time consuming evaluate if they were effective. This is the main reason we keep our actions separated by preventive actions.
In our actions we only write the action to be done, a term date, define a person to do it and the implementation conclusions.

a) We get OFI from audits:
a.1) we put them in a list that are pending evaluation
a.2) if they get a positive evaluation and are given continuity
a.3) we add them to action plan, which contains all the "other" actions
a.4) here we treat like this:
a.4.1) create an action that is relative to the OFI
a.4.2) add a term date to implement this action
a.4.3) then we name someone to do it
a.4.4) then this person must implement it and say the what he done and write up a conclusion and evaluation of efficacy.

b) some "other" actions come from daily basis from in-field. Those are simple and not so major actions that we think is overkill to do all the work that would be required by a preventive action.

c) then we get "other" actions from meeting. Some of them are quite major actions but even so it's hard to treat them like preventive actions.

do you have any suggestions? We might get nonconformity for this reason?

totty
thanks for your time,

Re: Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of impro

How about simply doing away with all those distinctions, keeping it simple and label them all as "improvement actions"?

/Claes

T

totty

Re: Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of impro

But the iso 9001 requires the preventive actions...

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

But the iso 9001 requires the preventive actions...

You can put these within "Improvement Actions."

Many folks get too wrapped up in labels for activities.
It's the activity and its results that counts.

Stijloor.

T

totty

@Stijloor: so you mean having all the actions named "Improvement Actions" and within some of them are preventive actions, right? the ones that are a pain to do.

and another group that are the rest, without so much pain..

is this correct?
thanks

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

@Stijloor: so you mean having all the actions named "Improvement Actions" and within some of them are preventive actions, right? the ones that are a pain to do.

and another group that are the rest, without so much pain..

is this correct?
thanks

Yes. And that's what my good friend and Fellow Moderator Claes suggested too. ;)

Stijloor.

T

totty

thanks a lot :) where I might find more best practices like this?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

thanks a lot :) where I might find more best practices like this?

Search The Cove Forums.

Have you found the yellow "search" button?

Use the advanced search version; it uses Google technology.

Stijloor.

But where are my manners? I did not notice that you were a first time poster, totty. So : Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:.
where I might find more best practices like this?
You can find lots of them right here in the Cove. I recommend the search function (See the menu bar near the top of the page).

I also thought I'd elaborate a bit on my previous answer: Yes, you do need to describe how you find potential nonconformities, but once found there is no particular need to complicate matters by grading the actions.

We get actions from many sources. Our registrar, for instance grades their findings according to severity. We just enter them all (including opportunities for impovement) into our improvement actions database and deal with them. Same thing with findings from internal audits: No grading. Into the database they go, to be dealt with. Findings from risk analyses? You guessed it. In the latter case it clearly constitutes preventive actions, but no matter: They go into the database and actions are taken.

The list goes on, but no matter where the findings come from, we must deal with them.

/Claes

T

totty

Top Bottom