Amazon Certificate of Calibration

QAZer0wolf

Registered
Has anyone seen these calibration certificates from Amazon "NIST-Traceable" calibration? I plan on purchasing Starrett caliper as a back up and would like to use the manufacturing calibration cert as well as this Amazon lab cert as evidence of calibration/verification just until my next scheduled third party calibration. The cert does state compliance to ISO/IEC 17025 and ANSI/NCSL Z540. Would you all feel comfortable using these certs in an ISO9001 audit?

Amazon Certificate of Calibration

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
It depends what the calibration requirements are.
The example certificate states calibrated to manufacturer's specification. If there is a requirement for calibration to be traceable to National Standard, you would have to demonstrate that the manufacturer's specification was in conformance with the appropriate National Standard.

Personally I would treat such "manufacturers calibration certificates" as being worthless

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
You could always calibrate it yourself upon receipt. If its a different brand/type, you would need to do an R&R on it as well. Then you would have your calibration record, the Amazon calibration record (I would not personally rely on this alone), and MSA.

Its also concerning that, if this is the record they advertise, it has not been updated to show current standards (ISO 9K 2008, TS16949:09).

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Back when I worked for Transcat they had a contract with Amazon to provide calibration services. They didn't put their name on the certificate, but you could look up the calibration address to find out who calibrated it.

dwperron

It depends what the calibration requirements are.
The example certificate states calibrated to manufacturer's specification. If there is a requirement for calibration to be traceable to National Standard, you would have to demonstrate that the manufacturer's specification was in conformance with the appropriate National Standard.

Personally I would treat such "manufacturers calibration certificates" as being worthless
National Standards have nothing to do with the manufacturer's specifications.
Specifications are determined by the OEM based on their historical data and manufacturing processes, not a National Lab.
The traceable to National Standards statement shows that the calibration provider can demonstrate an unbroken series for calibrations from your tool to some National artifact.
Some very reputable firms, such as Mitutoyo, supply some lousy looking certificates for new products, but they are completely valid. You need to review whatever you get.

QAZer0wolf

Registered
Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide feedback. I do have a set of blocks to verify, but I was hoping to just get through with these until the next scheduled calibration for all my company's calipers. I will review the certificates when I get the instrument in to see if it indeed has been updated regarding the standards and specification revisions. If I'm not feeling confident that they will hold up during our next ISO audit, I will send the instrument to our approved calibration supplier right away.

Ron Rompen

Just a point of interest on this - I noticed that the instrument was not calibrate BY amazon, but instead was calibrated FOR amazon by a 3rd party (can't make out the name and address but they are in Charlotte NC.
If you wanted to take the time, you could look up that company, and review their 17025 certification - if they aren't the manufacturer of the instrument, and aren't certified to 17025 or its equivalent, then the cert is (IMHO) meaningless.

QAZer0wolf

Registered
I will try and post a photo of the actual certs when I receive the caliper for those of you who are like curious. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

dwperron

Just a point of interest on this - I noticed that the instrument was not calibrate BY amazon, but instead was calibrated FOR amazon by a 3rd party (can't make out the name and address but they are in Charlotte NC.
If you wanted to take the time, you could look up that company, and review their 17025 certification - if they aren't the manufacturer of the instrument, and aren't certified to 17025 or its equivalent, then the cert is (IMHO) meaningless.
This is the answer for the sample certificate:
Transcat Calibration Services
8334 Arrowridge Blvd, Suite B
Charlotte, NC 28273 USA
Phone: (844) 930-3890
Fax: (704) 529-3590

But Transcat does not calibrate every calibrated Amazon sale, some have OEM certificates.

Top Bottom