Amazon Certificate of Calibration

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just because the lab that Amazon use has ISO17025 certification does not mean that they will have used a procedure to calibrate the instrument that guarantees traceability to National Standards. You would have to question them and obtain confirmation (e.g. a more detailed calibration certificate) to remove any doubt, and I think that they may not be prepared to do that for the end-user of the instrument since they will be working to an agreement that they have with Amazon

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Just because the lab that Amazon use has ISO17025 certification does not mean that they will have used a procedure to calibrate the instrument that guarantees traceability to National Standards. You would have to question them and obtain confirmation (e.g. a more detailed calibration certificate) to remove any doubt, and I think that they may not be prepared to do that for the end-user of the instrument since they will be working to an agreement that they have with Amazon
Of course you would have to review the calibration certificate that you receive. That's what I said in my previous post. That's part of the job when you deal with calibration vendors of any type.
The calibration procedure used does not guarantee traceability to a National lab, that is not the purpose. Traceability is proven by digging through a chain of calibration records. A 17025 accredited lab has to show and prove traceability of their calibrations as part of their accreditation, that is why you choose to use a 17025 accredited (not compliant...) calibration.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
You could always calibrate it yourself upon receipt. If its a different brand/type, you would need to do an R&R on it as well. Then you would have your calibration record, the Amazon calibration record (I would not personally rely on this alone), and MSA.

Its also concerning that, if this is the record they advertise, it has not been updated to show current standards (ISO 9K 2008, TS16949:09).
I always recommend calibrating new devices before they're released for use. Just because the thing was duly calibrated before it was put in the box doesn't mean that the calibration was maintained through storage, shipping and handling. Also, MSA isn't necessary, so long as it's been demonstrated that the device type has been found suitable for a particular application.

ChrisM

^
I have previously bought calibrated instruments from places similar to Amazon and received calibration certificates that were maybe 6 or 8 months old. The first thing we did was sent the items out for fresh calibration. Goodness knows how they may have been stored and freighted over many months, and whether or not this may have affected their original calibration status.

Mikey324

I always recommend calibrating new devices before they're released for use. Just because the thing was duly calibrated before it was put in the box doesn't mean that the calibration was maintained through storage, shipping and handling. Also, MSA isn't necessary, so long as it's been demonstrated that the device type has been found suitable for a particular application.
I've seen some less than gentle deliveries that could have had negative impacts on calibration.

Top Bottom