Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers

P

Pitt1psu

We are a company that makes defense products and are certified AS9100C. We perform our own calibration internal. There are a few items that need to be calibrated externally. Our registrar has informed us that he expects to see calibration companies on our approved supplier list. I have some questions on this:
Where does this requirement come from since I thought I only had to have an approved supplier list for products I buy to make product (I do not sell the calibration service to outside customers)?
Should we have suppliers of gages on the approved supplier list?
Should we have suppliers that service preventive maintenance on the ASL?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The definition of the word "product" is critical and it is defined in ISO 9000:2005. Pay also attention to the text in Section 3 of AS9100 C: "...Throughout the text of this International Standard, wherever the term “product” occurs, it can also mean “service”...."

Obviously, calibration services can impact the conformity of the product you make, thus, without a question, providers of calibration services fall under the category of suppliers which need to be qualified, approved and monitored.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
We are a company that makes defense products and are certified AS9100C. We perform our own calibration internal. There are a few items that need to be calibrated externally. Our registrar has informed us that he expects to see calibration companies on our approved supplier list. I have some questions on this:
Where does this requirement come from since I thought I only had to have an approved supplier list for products I buy to make product (I do not sell the calibration service to outside customers)?

The concept is one of supplier control. The implications of poor service from a calibration vendor could be very consequential.

By the way, is your Registrar on your approved supplier list? If not, what objective evidence is there that they have been vetted and their qualifications are valid?

:lol:

R

randomname

Calibration, trucking companies delivering product to customers, ISO consultants, certification bodies (ISO, UL, ...) ...

B

BoardGuy

I do not sell the calibration service to outside customers

[FONT=&quot]Key within 7.4.1 is that the calibration service must be on the list because as a supplier of the service it could have an effect on product realization process 7.1 and final product shipped to the customer 8.2.4.[/FONT]

P

Pitt1psu

So with this information, would you agree that anyone performing preventive maintenance would also need to be on ASL?

Top Bottom