Calibrated Equipment Purchased Off Amazon?

jlawrence

Registered
Does calibrated equipment need to come from suppliers on our Approved Suppliers List? This was my previous company's SOP for calibrated equipment.

My current employer wants me to purchase calibrated equipment off of Amazon, which I don't feel comfortable doing. Amazon is not on our Approved Suppliers List. Also, the specific instrument in question has no clear manufacturer, so I see traceability issues here.

Am I off base in thinking this way?

jlawrence

Registered
Interesting. When Amazon is on the approved supplier list, I imagine that opens up some risk with purchasing counterfeit items or at least low-quality items. I don't know how to control purchasing if they're on the ASL. Sounds like "check the right blocks" implies we would add additional checks during receiving.

Randy

Super Moderator
Interesting. When Amazon is on the approved supplier list, I imagine that opens up some risk with purchasing counterfeit items or at least low-quality items. I don't know how to control purchasing if they're on the ASL. Sounds like "check the right blocks" implies we would add additional checks during receiving.
I've seen counterfeit items in the US Government supply system, that were "checked & double checked" fail and or break while I installed them.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Even if you add Amazon to your approved supplier list, it doesn't really mean much. Amazon is only a distributor, and has very little liability or oversight of the products which they sell.
With that being said, I have purchased a number of products off Amazon - I have had very few bad experiences with these products, and have no problem in using them again in the future.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Like any calibration, the supplier determines the quality of the service provided.
Amazon does not calibrate anything. They will sell items that come with the OEM certificate, and those will range from acceptable to just a piece of paper with stuff on it. Amazon also does have a relationship with Transcat, the items where you can select to get a calibration go to Transcat.

As far as compliance with your approved supplier list, you will have to add whoever did the calibration to that list, not just Amazon.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I know a uk manufacturer/distributor who produces and supplier medical equipment who opened a shop on amazon all their products were sold through them not buy them all certs and guarantees were through them.

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
It really depends on who is selling on amazon, for my personal purchases if the Amazon seller has UKAS certification and I can see that where they are calibrated, that their UKAS (or other national accreditation body) calibration schedule covers the Item I am buying, there is no greater risk than purchasing from another supplier with the same credentials. Just need to do a little digging.

Just because you have amazon on your approved suppliers list does not mean you can purchase anything from them without doing the usual due diligence.

Randy

Super Moderator
Just because you have amazon on your approved suppliers list does not mean you can purchase anything from them without doing the usual due diligence.
Yep, so stop fiddling around and get on to more important stuff, like lunch!

Top Bottom