Definition Awareness - Definition in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Awareness is an employee knowing and understanding requirements applicable to their job.

Please help add to this definition.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
ISO 9001 goes further and asks employees to be cognizant of how and why their work can impact the organization's achievement of goals. (relevance and importance)

ISO 14001 wants employees to be cognizant of (not needed to recite the thing, it's not the Pledge of Allegiance) the organization's policy, and how their actions could influence the air, water, soil, and/or natural resource use as identified by the organization (aspects and impacts).

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Awareness is an employee knowing and understanding requirements applicable to their job.

... and consistently demonstrate the same in work and other actions.
Awareness then becomes complete

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

.... and understanding the consequences of doing their job well or not.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I'd add - "And able to explain this and answer simple questions from a third party" (such as an assessor).

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
A quick explanation: When doing audits I always took this to be simple. Ask people what their job is (jobs are), what documentation is associated with each job (and show it to me), and what the effects of their knowing the importance of their knowing (and doing) these things is on quality (for ISO 9001) and aspects and impacts for ISO 14001. In essence what Jennifer said summed it up for both standards quite nicely.

I was reading a LinkedIn group and saw this asked, but it wasn't really a question there. It was by someone who wrote an article and linked to it. So far, OK. So, I go to the article and nowhere did it discuss awareness in simple terms. Even Duck and Goog searches weren't really clear. So - I asked here. I felt it would be a good addition to our "dictionary" here.

Good replies. Appreciated.

Top Bottom