Basis used for Calibration or Verification of Measuring Equipment

M

m.dayakarreddy

Hello,

This is my first post, but i am a user of this from long back. And i am getting useful stuff from you all.
And coming to the point, i need the best clarification reg. the below statement, plz help me.

7.6 Basis used for calibration or verification of measuring equipment where no international or national standards exist

So, I m expecting help regarding the above statement.

1. For some simple instruments (which are used to check the length and Weights) did we need to do calibration against the international or national standards? (Normally by external vendors)

2. Or did we do this by own, as by taking a master block as reference to verification? And for the record purpose (.....where no international or national standards exist), shall I explain the steps I had followed in verifying my equipments in document?
And is this document is enough as a record for ISo clause 7.6 a?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: 7.6 Basis used for calibration or verification of measuring equipment where no in

Hello,

This is my first post, but i am a user of this from long back. And i am getting useful stuff from you all.
And coming to the point, i need the best clarification reg. the below statement, plz help me.

7.6 Basis used for calibration or verification of measuring equipment where no international or national standards exist

1. For some simple instruments (which are used to check the length and Weights) did we need to do calibration against the international or national standards? (Normally by external vendors)

2. Or did we do this by own, as by taking a master block as reference to verification? And for the record purpose (.....where no international or national standards exist), shall I explain the steps I had followed in verifying my equipments in document?
You can do it either way as long as the means you use is traceable to the international or national standard for length or weight. There is a standard for length and weight. Sometimes companies develop tools or methods for which there are no standards and that is what is referred to in 7.6.

M

m.dayakarreddy

Re: 7.6 Basis used for calibration or verification of measuring equipment where no in

Thanks for your Reply.

And still i am not clear about, what report i have to maintain to the above statement(7.6 a). If you have any format or if you have useful information regarding this, plz share with me.

Thanks in advance

BradM

Leader
Admin

Thanks for your Reply.

And still i am not clear about, what report i have to maintain to the above statement(7.6 a). If you have any format or if you have useful information regarding this, plz share with me.

Thanks in advance

I would think that would fall into a validation of sorts. What kind of process are you interested in?

Essentially you have an accepted standard (like Al stated), or you have to qualify the process you are going to use. Make sense?:)

Big Jim

Admin
Hello,

The way I view this is that if there is a standard, either national or international, you need to use it. That means that if you are going to calibrate your own calipers, you would use gage blocks that are traceable to that standard (in the USA that would usually be NIST).

If you have a unique piece of testing equipment for which there has not been developed a national or international standard, but you have figured out a way to calibrate it for your needs, you need to explain how you perform the calibration.

This DOES NOT mean that you can choose to ignore the traceability to international or national standards simply because you choose not to have a gage block set that has that traceability.

S

samsung

shall I explain the steps I had followed in verifying my equipments in document? And is this document enough as a record for ISO clause 7.6 a?
Whatever basis (method/ criterion) you have used to calibrate/ verify the equipment has to be recorded in addition to recording the calibration / verification results in order to meet the requirements of 7.6 (a). The method may have been developed indigenously, locally or borrowed from some unauthenticated source only if no standards (national or international) exist.

M

m.dayakarreddy

Thanks to all,
Now i am clear with this report.

Some of the msgs here, are useful for me to under stand this.
And i had seen some useful links from OLD ELSMAR /forums.

From all, finally, i came to an idea like,
Calibration certificate:- It basically states, What is gauge(name, nos..)? is that made is right? & Gauges/tools are traceable to that country's standard. And along with it the actual attributes identified for that gauge.And name of the verifier, sign, validity period.
Shall any one comment on this plz.

Big Jim

Admin
Thanks to all,
Now i am clear with this report.

Some of the msgs here, are useful for me to under stand this.
And i had seen some useful links from OLD ELSMAR /forums.

From all, finally, i came to an idea like,
Calibration certificate:- It basically states, What is gauge(name, nos..)? is that made is right? & Gauges/tools are traceable to that country's standard. And along with it the actual attributes identified for that gauge.And name of the verifier, sign, validity period.
Shall any one comment on this plz.

I think you have the concept. A proper calibration certificate has all of those things, including information about its traceability.

Dr.mr555

Starting to get Involved
The engineers at our company have developed an automated test system to stress test communication & computer systems embedded in our products. Test result outputs include router throughput rates, SATA transfer rates while monitoring temperature to assure safe operational thresholds are not exceeded.
Some of these output values are provided by onboard router or SBC sensors.

My question is should this test system be calibrated or verified in some way, and how that might be accomplished?

Thanks for help!

Top Bottom