Blind Gopher Auditors Comment - Who is responsible?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Coming from a supply chain background, and not from the CB perspective, I find it difficult to understand why any organization would engage a supplier who then fails to deliver to expectations, without saying anything! {big snip}

Totally agree. I've commented above that I would can a non-CB auditor who didn't help me to improve. He would not have delivered to my expectations.
My expectation is that the non-CB auditor's role (internal or third party) is to find problems I've missed and tell me about them so that I can improve.
I want a highly skilled, very thorough, and very picky non-CB auditor. I even want him to comment on things that are outside the scope of the certification. I want him to point at every wart and every flaw.

My expectation on a CB auditor is to verify that I'm in compliance.

Why in the world would I place the expectation for finding issues on the same guy who can revoke my Cert? That makes no sense to me.

The "audit to find problems" role is filled by someone who will help me improve without a potentially profit-damaging side effect, not by the CB.

I want the findings, I want the OFI's...I just don't want them from the CB. My approach gives me all of the improvements, and without risk to the cert.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Obviously, my perspective in this subject is biased based on my position as a representative of the conformity assessment body community.
Very few people reading this thread are at the forefront of the conformity assessment sector, but let me share an excerpt of a draft document being discussed, concerning a potential aerospace auditor competence validation process:
When developing the QMS auditing evaluation process, the following QMS auditing competencies shall be given consideration:
a. Ethical, legal, and professional Issues
1. Audit Credibility
2. Identify and apply ethical factors that influence audit credibility, such as auditor independence, objectivity, and qualifications.
3. Liability Issues
4. Identify potential legal and financial ramifications of improper auditor actions, such as carelessness and negligence, in various situations, and anticipate the effect that certain audit results can have on an auditee's liability.​
So, please be aware that some highly regulated sectors are continually enhancing the CB auditor competence evaluation process, exactly to minimize the chances of having ineffective auditors and audits in the scheme.

While the CB is the primary responsible for ensuring auditor competence, we have to rely (also) on feedback by the organizations interacting with the auditors and if the registrants are unwilling to provide honest feedback about auditor’s performance, the whole system suffers.

Just like a police department will be unable to act if one of their officers is corrupt, but nobody ever brings the information forward, for fear of retaliation. Just like a school district will be unable to discipline an unethical teacher, if feedback is never provided by pupils and/or parents.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Obviously, my perspective in this subject is biased based on my position as a representative of the conformity assessment body community.
Very few people reading this thread are at the forefront of the conformity assessment sector, but let me share an excerpt of a draft document being discussed, concerning a potential aerospace auditor competence validation process:

So, please be aware that some highly regulated sectors are continually enhancing the CB auditor competence evaluation process, exactly to minimize the chances of having ineffective auditors and audits in the scheme.

While the CB is the primary responsible for ensuring auditor competence, we have to rely (also) on feedback by the organizations interacting with the auditors and if the registrants are unwilling to provide honest feedback about auditor?s performance, the whole system suffers.

Just like a police department will be unable to act if one of their officers is corrupt, but nobody ever brings the information forward, for fear of retaliation. Just like a school district will be unable to discipline an unethical teacher, if feedback is never provided by pupils and/or parents.
WHOA!
Let's distinguish between corrupt (knowingly doing something unethical or illegal) and merely incompetent or lazy (blind gopher.) In the former, the individual knows what is the correct thing, but for a consideration (money, love, friendship, hatred) chooses to do something apart from the right thing.

Those we term blind gophers are either incompetent or lazy. I think I can tell the difference between incompetent or lazy, but I may be fooling myself. (I see a difference in a cop who takes bribes to let dope deals happen and a cop who takes a nap in his squad because he was up all night, partying.) As far as unethical teachers, I have an hour-long keynote and a three hour seminar I deliver on recognizing and dealing with teachers who are unethical (mean, venal, biased, abusive) and those who are "challenged" (unknowledgeable, lazy, unempathetic.) The unethical need to be scrubbed from the system; the challenged need to be trained or redirected. I don't use the term "retrained" simply because I feel any previous "training" didn't deserve to be called training.

Corruption, on the other hand, can be glaring or it can be VERY subtle. the smarter the perpetrator, the more subtle and insidious the corrupt act.

Given only those two characters (corrupt and blind gopher) to consider, the 3rd party system may be "corrupted," but it is not corrupt in and of itself. Think of the difference between a single nonconformance in an otherwise good system and a systemic nonconformance which is due to an intent by the top management to put lipstick on the pig by selecting known "easy auditors" (blind gophers) or by actually bribing the on-site auditor.

I don't think anyone here believes the entire 3rd party system is corrupt, but most of us believe there are both kinds of individual auditors (corrupt and blind gopher.) The question really should be: "Is it in the best interest of organizations under audit to involve top management in complaining to 3rd party management about blind gophers?" If yes, how does the potential of a delayed certificate or changing CBs (additional expense) factor in to the decision?

(It seems obvious to me top management is not going to complain about a corrupt auditor it is bribing (unless he doesn't stay bribed;))

There is one other possibility to raise (I've never seen one myself) - the auditor (2nd or 3rd party) who extorts a bribe by saying to a stressed manager, "This system won't pass unless I get a "cash bonus." Has anyone EVER encountered one? No names, please.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
A good example of what happens when confidence erodes in a certification program is the on-going shuffling of the European Notified Body authorization. A recent thread that shows the real and potential headaches if you ever have to transfer your approval(s): Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU

So, once again, those who welcome (and even promote) incompetent auditors assessing their systems, I say: be careful what you wish for......

Top Bottom