CloudFlare - NOTICE - DNS Change - 20130321

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
NOTICE - DNS Change - 20130321

I have decided to use CloudFlare for security and for CDN cloud services. I have been reading a lot about it. I did the US$20/month "Pro" version.

It requires me to change my DNS servers. This shouldn't cause any down time, but years ago DNS changes could take a week to propagate. I'm sort of afraid to do this "mid stream", so to speak, but I figure it's worth a try. I'm signing up for CloudFlair now and it won't let me proceed unless I change name server (DNS records) now.

Stand by and cross your fingers for "good luck with that..." :notme:

Marc

Leader
Re: NOTICE - DNS Change - 20130321

I have made the DNS change. Let me know if you have any connection problems by replying in this thread.

Thank You!

Marc

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions

Thank you for the initiative. What are the benefits with DNS server change.?

Kedar

Marc

Leader

CloudFlare has a number of servers around he world. They do a number of things including CDN caching of a lot of content, malware filtering and monitoring.

For them to do those things (and more), rather than use the DNS server which is on Elsmar.com I had to point Elsmar.com to their DNS servers so they can process requests.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
FWIW: I have not noticed any deterioration of speed in clicking links leading within or out of Elsmar.

Marc

Leader
I doubt in the US anyone will see a quicker page load time. Among other things, CloudFlare checks for a lot of things, such as spammer IPs, and dumps "suspicious" connections/packets. That makes for increased processor time on their servers as they check packets and references to "black lists" among other things. On the other hand, for foreign visitors it *may* speed things up a bit because it is doing CDN caching at quite a few servers around the world.

There are tradeoffs for what it does vs. a simple CDN service.

Marc

Leader
BTW - CloudFlare supposedly checks uploaded files for malware. No guarantees, but better than nothing. We haven't had a problem with malware in uploaded files, but the internet is changing so....

Top Bottom