CMM Hardware - Renishaw Probe Magnetism question

S

silentrunning

Has anyone had a problem with using a Renishaw probe in the vacinity of a magnet? While checking an assembly with an embedded magnet in it, the probe seems to freeze up when it gets near the magnet or the steel parts affected by the magnetic. I'm curious if this is normal.

R

Randy Lefferts

Re: CMM Hardware - Renishaw probe question

Has anyone had a problem with using a Renishaw probe in the vacinity of a magnet? While checking an assembly with an embedded magnet in it, the probe seems to freeze up when it gets near the magnet or the steel parts affected by the magnetic. I'm curious if this is normal.

Are you using a magnetic body with the probe? A magnetic TP20 will suffer if around a magnet. Would have to get a demagnetized TP20 (non inhibitive? I think it may be).

J

JAltmann

Yup you'll need to use a TP2/TP6 around the magnet. TP20/200/TP7 no like the magnetic field. I seem to recall their was a version of the TP200 that could work around magnets? I might be mis-thinking tho, it has been awhile.

AndyN

Moved On

Unless it's a strain gauge style, the (older) probes have a mechanism which is susceptible to magnetism. The later (TP20?) probes only use the (similar) mechanism for over travel to prevent damage, not to detect a touch.

R

Randy Lefferts

Yup you'll need to use a TP2/TP6 around the magnet. TP20/200/TP7 no like the magnetic field. I seem to recall their was a version of the TP200 that could work around magnets? I might be mis-thinking tho, it has been awhile.

There is also a non magnetic TP20 as well. We use mostly TP2/TP20 and the TP20's are the non inhibitive (I believe that's what they are referred as) type. They are basically demagnetized and can work around magnetic items.

S

silentrunning

It is a TP20 tip. Thanks all for the input. I will research getting a tip that won't be affected.

:thanks:

R

Randy Lefferts

It is a TP20 tip. Thanks all for the input. I will research getting a tip that won't be affected.

:thanks:

Hi Silent,

This is a link to get you started. I am not trying to get you to order from them, I am just providing you something to start with. They were the first one in the list when I did a search.

Hope this helps.

J

JoshTessyPlastics

Any ideas on how to work around this? we have a 72 cav. fixture with small magnets to keep the parts in place and the tip will only make it so far before not reading the touch points. We have thought about trying to place the magnets in the fixture then using a higher magnetic permeability metal to affix the parts to try and reduce the mag field but not sure hoe effective this will be. Any suggestions would be great.

Y

yater13

If you are using TP20, order TP20b. This probe does not have the inhibit reed switch and will not be turned off in a magnetic field.

Top Bottom