Control of (TMME) Testing and Measurement Equipment

Rene Minassian

Do it right the first time....
Hi all,
I like to ask the community for interpretation/ handling/ experience with regards to API Q1 Ch. 5.8. to operate TMME "not-calibrated".
Would you think following procedure is in conformance with API Q1 Ch. 5.8?
The Organisation is differing TMME-Tools into "calibrated" and "non-calibrated" ones. All of them are identifiable with Sticker on the TMME wearing the calibration status by "calibrated= date of last Cal. and date of next cal." and "non-calibrated" . The overall policy or procedure is describing that in-process inspection are allowed to be performed with "non-calibrated" TMME. However, the fiinal conformity assessment of each manufactured product shall be only accapted when they have been measured with a "calibrated" TMME.

Let me know youre thoughts to it.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Let me know youre thoughts to it.
Excellent question Rene;
The key (specifically because of contradictory statements later in the standard), lies within the first paragraph of 5.8...
"The organization shall determine the testing, monitoring, and measurement requirements and the
associated equipment needed to provide evidence of conformity to those requirements
."

The following contradictory verbiage make the prior statement significant....
" ...ensure that testing, measurement, and monitoring equipment is calibrated and maintained..."

e) "...calibration or verification method, including..."

h) "...Testing, measuring, and monitoring equipment shall: 1) be calibrated or verified,"

Very poorly written standard.

If your existing procedure works and protects your organization and its customers (and evidence supports that), then I would stick with it. Be selfish...do what is in the best interest of your organization and its customers (the standard provides room based on the opening statement in 5.8).

Hope this helps.

Be well

Rene Minassian

Do it right the first time....
Hi John,
great feedback, thx a lot. I do also think that is possible according to the statement in 5.8. However, auditors in this world do not think like this. They force that every TMME which is from its nature a TMME like, vernier caliper, measurment tabes, gauges etc. pp. shall be calibrated. I will wait for the 10th Edt of API Q1 which will be exactly changed to the procedure currently in place.
Regards

Top Bottom