Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees)

Mike B

Registered
We are looking at AS9100. One of our existing clients suggested this, and a couple of potential new clients said they couldn't send us RFQ's unless we were certified.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Mike... not sure what your particular question is, but one of the consultants I do a lot of work with has very deep experience with AS 9100 series... and I focus on IATF 16949... It is very common for customers in both fields to want their suppliers to be certified or at least moving toward these standards. ....if you have specific questions, let me know, we will try to answer them.

Mike B

Registered
We are looking for a way to get the AS9100 certification for our company that has 3 office employees and about 10 people in our machine shop, that won't break our small bank. One of our existing clients stated that there is some sort of 'surface level Aerospace certification' that we should look at for a company our size. Can your group help with this? We are located in a NW suburb of Minneapolis, MN.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Mike B ... I will refer you directly to my colleague, Russ Bloom (E-mail: [email protected]).... He specializes in AS9100 and has deep experience in the field. No need for me to get in the middle of it. If you have questions about IATF 16949, automotive and ISO 9001, I will be happy to answer directly. Russ also has a lot of resources on the web - Web: www.eagleforceinc.com.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
We are looking for a way to get the AS9100 certification for our company that has 3 office employees and about 10 people in our machine shop, that won't break our small bank. One of our existing clients stated that there is some sort of 'surface level Aerospace certification' that we should look at for a company our size. Can your group help with this? We are located in a NW suburb of Minneapolis, MN.

I have never heard of a 'surface level Aerospace certification'.

Do you have a copy of AS9100? If so, have you read it?

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
I work at a small company. We had fewer than 20 employees when we were AS9100 certified a year ago. Marc suggested you read the AS9100 standard. There are plenty of websites with free resources, but make sure they describe the latest version AS9100-D.

A small company can become certified, in a similar way that a single property-owner can general contract the building of his own home. But if you plan to live in what you build, you better make sure you have guidance from someone who has done this before and is familiar with code requirements for permit approvals. In our case, I asked our registrar if he could suggest a consultant with experience setting up a QMS at a small company with limited resources. We were very happy with the result and now we are being awarded million dollar contracts. We are still growing and adding on to our QMS, making improvements as we grow. We are building this house while we're living in it.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
It's a strategic decision that should consider cost\benefit. Perhaps your customer is willing to help finance or support this effort with some human resources?

I agree with Marc - there is no "surface level" certification.

I agree with Yoda, too - "Do, or do not. There is no try."

:)

jmccr

Protective Packaging Designer - Quality Technician
It might not be a bad idea to look into the Minnesota Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP). I believe they may be able to help with training for something like this to help you work on becoming AS9100 compliant and you can often times apply for grants to pay for training. I am working in New Hampshire and my company has had very positive experiences with our MEP.

Big Jim

Admin
What is 9003? I'm aware of it. It is somewhere between ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D. I certainly don't recommend it. A few registrars advertise that they support it but even they seem to discourage. The main way I've seen it used is when one of the big players wants to use a supplier that is not certified but the customer desperately needs what the supplier can provide, they will audit whatever system they have against 9003.

I have occasionally been asked if I would help someone develop a 9003 program but it never worked out. I have helped companies respond to nonconformances written by their customers against 9003. The last time was about two years ago.

That said, I have helped dozens of companies get registered to AS9100. The biggest share of them less than 25 people. Even a two person shop husband and wife team. It is very doable.

Elsmar Cove is here to answer your questions along the way.

Top Bottom