Do lab Certification (ISO 17025 or A2LA) required for Material certs from Suppliers

Jayanth

Registered
I was advised by my prior SQE that we can only accept Material Certs only from a ISO 17025 Cert or A2LA lab for the certs which are provided by Suppliers as a part of the PPAP.

I was looking for this requirement in IATF regarding this but cannot find. The only one I can relate is the External lab (7.1.5.3.2) but that is only if we use but not related to suppliers.

Please advise.

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think the SQE is on the right track. Test and validation or calibration need to have this requirement, which may very well apply to material certifications. I come from 20+ years of calibration expertise though, not materials- although it very well could be.

Jayanth

Registered
I think the SQE is on the right track. Test and validation or calibration need to have this requirement, which may very well apply to material certifications. I come from 20+ years of calibration expertise though, not materials- although it very well could be.
Thank you for the Update, A quick question, Do you think even the raw material certs which are usually provided by Steel Mill or Plastic material supplier needs to satisfy this requirement

Ashland78

Thank you for the Update, A quick question, Do you think even the raw material certs which are usually provided by Steel Mill or Plastic material supplier needs to satisfy this requirement
Does your quality manual for your org say that you shall comply to IATF / ISO 17025 calibration, test and validation requirements? If so, perhaps. But that is the raw material. Another good group to all is on Linked In. There is an IATF 16949 group that may know for certain. I have actually got great answers there as well.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
In my experience, the mill certs are not good enough unless their lab is ISO 17025 or A2LA certified.

Jayanth

Registered
Does your quality manual for your org say that you shall comply to IATF / ISO 17025 calibration, test and validation requirements? If so, perhaps. But that is the raw material. Another good group to all is on Linked In. There is an IATF 16949 group that may know for certain. I have actually got great answers there as well.
Can you let me know the Group Link Please in linkeldn

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I was advised by my prior SQE that we can only accept Material Certs only from a ISO 17025 Cert or A2LA lab for the certs which are provided by Suppliers as a part of the PPAP.

I was looking for this requirement in IATF regarding this but cannot find. The only one I can relate is the External lab (7.1.5.3.2) but that is only if we use but not related to suppliers.

Please advise.
Probably you are referring to the suppliers from which you purchase raw materials ( i.e.: gas, chemical) and use their internal labs to provide certificates of analysis or conformance. If they are ISO 9001 certified, they are not requested to have their internal lab to be ISO 17025 accredited, but they have internal procedure for lab scope, personnel certification, procedures, maintenance etc. If they are IATF certified , they have to follow 7.1.5.3.1 of IATF standard.
However, you also mentioned PPAP. What did you communicate and establish in it as customer regarding the point of lab requirements ?

Ashland78

Can you let me know the Group Link Please in linkeldn

Paul Hardiman is in this group and is VERY knowledgeable

Attachments

• Do lab Certification (ISO 17025 or A2LA) required for Material certs from Suppliers
    Screenshot_20230926_095432_LinkedIn.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 19

Jayanth

Registered
Probably you are referring to the suppliers from which you purchase raw materials ( i.e.: gas, chemical) and use their internal labs to provide certificates of analysis or conformance. If they are ISO 9001 certified, they are not requested to have their internal lab to be ISO 17025 accredited, but they have internal procedure for lab scope, personnel certification, procedures, maintenance etc. If they are IATF certified , they have to follow 7.1.5.3.1 of IATF standard.
However, you also mentioned PPAP. What did you communicate and establish in it as customer regarding the point of lab requirements ?
We purchase multiple commodities from suppliers as Metals, Plastic occupies majority portion of them and as an example our suppliers buy steel from a distribution center which they would provide them a material cert (Presumable same data which they get from the original source Mill) and does IATF require that cert to be issued by an ISO 17025 lab or not?? and our customers usually tend to guide us through IATF route.

Top Bottom