Do PPAP's need Maintenance?

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I'm looking thru the PPAP 4th edition book, this book explains what you need for initial submissions, but I don't see anything regarding the maintaning of the data for PPAPs. I do see a requirement (p. 13) to notify the customer of any planned changes to the design/ process/ site. But that covers living documents such as control plans and PFMEAs.

What about data required in the original PPAP, such as capability studies and gauge R&R, do those need to be maintained or is this a one shot deal to get the PPAP approved? I can't imagine that an OEM would be ok with just a one time capability study, but would the requirement to maintain 1.67 capability need to be communicated by the customer, or is it implied/required in any of the AIAIG books?
think.gif

Z

zancky

my English is not particularly good, but it may be you are not talking about maintenance of the machine. I suppose you are interested on SPC requirements, e.g. during the PPAP you showed cpk values and You are wondering about if these cpks have tobe converted on X-s/X-R charts etc. In my opinion there is no issue: with the PPAP documentation You submit the control plan where You write what you are going to measure, how and the acceptance criteria including eventually the X-s/X-R chart. It is Your Customer who approves your decision

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I'm looking thru the PPAP 4th edition book, this book explains what you need for initial submissions, but I don't see anything regarding the maintaning of the data for PPAPs. I do see a requirement (p. 13) to notify the customer of any planned changes to the design/ process/ site. But that covers living documents such as control plans and PFMEAs.

What about data required in the original PPAP, such as capability studies and gauge R&R, do those need to be maintained or is this a one shot deal to get the PPAP approved? I can't imagine that an OEM would be ok with just a one time capability study, but would the requirement to maintain 1.67 capability need to be communicated by the customer, or is it implied/required in any of the AIAIG books?
think.gif

I think that the response for what you are asking for is well explained in clause8.2.3.1 of ISO TS concerning with the monitoring and measuring of the mfg processes.
In brief, when there area characteristics thst are either not statistically capable or are unstable, the organization shall initiate a reaction plan from the control plan.
This plan could include 100% inspection of the prodcut and contianment. The organization shall put in place a corrective action plan . Those plans shall be reviwed and approved by customer when required. Besides, record of changes shall be maintaned.

J

JaxQC

As mentioned, the items you were looking at PPAP were important and most likely will require periodic monitoring throughout production to insure they are still in compliance. The frequency of the periodic checks will go back to your capability (or lack of it). Any item that does work will experience wear and be expected to be monitored and replaced as needed. Some frequent (drill wear) while other might be a longer time (mold/die wear).
Sample

? Hole size ? check every hour or after tool replacement (good initial capability but high wear)
? O.A.L ? check mold/die once a year (great initial capability, low wear)
? Hole spacing ? check 100% of product until devise & verify fix (failed initial capability but livable short term scrap level)

Most often it is initial 1.66 and accepting 1.33 over time as you introduce additional variables (time, batches etc). The better the initial capability runs and trials (yes plural on purpose) were defined up front?the closer the two numbers will be over the life of production.

You?ll also have plenty to verify and re-PPAP as time goes on. New supplier vendors, heavy maintenance items, production layout changes, process improvements, PRR?s/CAPA?s, scrap reduction projects etc?

If you have a specific scenario and examples, let us know and we?ll see what suggests the group can come up with.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
The basic answer to your question is no. The PPAP itself requires no maintenance.
as per Wikipedia "Production part approval process (PPAP) is used in the automotive supply chain to establish confidence in component suppliers and their production processes, by demonstrating that:

"....all customer engineering design record and specification requirements are properly understood by the supplier and that the process has the potential to produce product consistently meeting these requirements during an actual production run at the quoted production rate." Version 4 March 1st 2006"

This is basically your customer having you prove your capability to consistently produce their part. Some automotive companies require you to PPAP every year, some after a major quality problem, some never ask again. Unless the conditions change in which the part was originally approved, the normal controls and inspections set up in the Control plan are supposed to maintain your processes capabilities. Changing suppliers, moving machines etc. can cause a process to change and then would require another PPAP. We usually do extra PPAP's when we want to bring secondary suppliers online. (such as a 2nd plater or heat treater).

Top Bottom