Do we really need to meet the Supplier Laboratory Requirements (4.10.6)?

M

mibusha

More than qualified

First of all-Happy Holidays to Everyone! And thanks for the help.

Now my last questions of the year…

1) We make patterns and special machines. Our tradespeople have been calibrating their mics and calipers for more years than I've been around and are very qualified. They don't really want me to do it for them though I have "recent practical and theoretical training". Couldn't I just supervise and maintain the system and let them do the actual calibration?

2) Do we really need to meet the Supplier Laboratory Requirements (4.10.6)? All we calibrate are measuring devices such as the above micrometers and calipers. Couldn't we simply ensure that the masters (Gage Blocks) are certified and calibrate everything to them?

Thanks for your help,

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't see any reason why you couldn't let the skilled, hands on people do their own calibration of micrometers. There are some structural details I think are a MUST, however. I would strongly recommend you put in place some sort of documentation as to training or skill level required to do this. I have had instances where some of my calibrations were done for me by facilities people. For example, calibrating purified water monitoring equipment, HVAC monitoring systems, internal calibrations done on major production equipment. All of which, although I can calibrate just about anything put in front of me in a metrology lab, are much better handled by the skilled people who work with them. And it sounds similar in your case.

Just document the method (write a procedure), document the calibration history, document skill requirements, document what specific people meet those skill requirements, and assure that only those documented people are allowed to perform the cals.

It is perfectably acceptable for people outside the normal calibration lab to perform these specialized cals. But the same requirements apply. You kind of have to "deputize" them (so to speak). You call them all calibration techs who are qualified and authorized to do those specific calibrations.

One other detail is enivronment and method. I don't have the procedures here in front of me. But if a surface plate is required, you need to maintain as if you were doing it yourself (surface plates DO need periodic calibrations - they do go out of tolerance due to contaminant buildup). And environmentally, the temp/humidity limits still apply, even though the opreators are calibrating them. Make sure that is documented and adhered to. If necessary, you may need to have them bring them into the lab and do them on a surface plate. I don't know your factory's particular parameters
------------------

[This message has been edited by Jerry Eldred (edited 22 December 1999).]

S

Sam

On point #1 - 4.10.6 states that "personnel making professional judgement with reference to testing and/or calibration . . . .

Anyone who meets the above definition can be approved to calibrate.

point #2 - 4.11.2.b.1 states that "Calibration of IM&TE shall be conducted by a qualified in-house lab. (4.10.6)

IMO ,if you calibrate in-house you are required to follow 4.10.6.

I have read other statements to the affect that "we only calibrate mics and calipers" when I think what we really mean is that we are "verifying" the output.
Calibrating a Mic or caliper is more then just checking the reading with a gage block,i.e.,flatness and parallelism of the anvil and spindle.etc.
IMO, I look for calibration and the art thereof to become even more demanding in the future.

D

David Guffey

Save yourself some headaches. Document the requirements and/or qualifications of a calibration person. Then, document that these persons meet these qualifications. Then, it doesn't matter, does it?

Top Bottom