Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered?

CindyG

Involved In Discussions
Can someone please tell me if ISO 9001-2015 has a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered?

Thank you!

CindyG

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Sidney!

Would the only reason to number equipment be for internal identification purposes only?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Companies use identification numbers on equipment for functions such as inventory control and maintenance scheduling, to name two functions.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Companies also use ID numbers if you desire traceability on which machine each operation was performed (in my scenario, you have many machines which can perform same operation). That is not a requirement, but would be helpful information for process improvement, or in the event of a quality problem of all parts made on a certain machine that had a chronic malfunction.

Marc

Leader
Companies also use ID numbers if you desire traceability on which machine each operation was performed (in my scenario, you have many machines which can perform same operation).
I agree. This is essential for maintenance as I noted above, but as you say many times there are multiple machines that are identical or that do the same process step so, especially in regulated industries, traceability is important. Many times traceability is mandated.

I will add that ID numbers per se aren't always necessary. I have, for example, seen companies ID presses by just labeling them "Press A, Press B, or Press 1, Press 2" etc. Even when they do use sucj "easy" id, since your company bought it, there is going to be a serial number for it.

And think about it a minute - Identification (and traceability for that matter) - Your cell phone and most all household appliances are serial numbered. Lawn mower? Serial number. Refrigerator? Serial number.

CindyG

Involved In Discussions
Companies use identification numbers on equipment for functions such as inventory control and maintenance scheduling, to name two functions.

Thank you!
Your information is ALWAYS invaluable. I follow you reading your comments and have learned so much, thank you!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Companies also number equipment of value for ID purposes for asset management...primarily depreciation, though theft, vandalism and %uptime calcs are also equipment specific.

When Uncle Sam shows up and wants to see the asset you claim depreciation on...it sure helps to have a positive ID, often an "Asset number" or company assigned equipment number. I've never used the vendors original serial number since the formats of those range all over and its harder to track.

Marc

Leader
Some of this really is common sense. Like I say - Everyone links items to a serial number in some way, and most things have a serial number, though admittedly some items only have a batch number, but that is typically small components.

Ninja just added to the list. My initial post was short and should have included some of this stuff, so I appreciate people adding on.In this case I hadn't thought of how many companies have, for example, asset number plates or stickers or whatever, but we come back to those each have to be linked to a serial number (in most cases for anything of value) and quite often a purchase order as well. A bottle of milk may not have a serial number, but it has a batch number printed on it somewhere.

tony s

Information Seeker
In some large milling, lathing and pressing plants the actual products produced by each machine have some sort of marking traceable to the machine that made them. This helps the plant to easily identify the specific machine when nonconforming products are identified.

Top Bottom