Drawing Control - Bill of materials as our master list?

J

JSmith

Drawing Control

I have a question regarding drawing control. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been recently asked to compile a master list of our released engineering drawings. Right now we have about 25 different programs and probably over 200 released drawings (these include assemblies and components). I was wondering if it would be sufficient to state in our procedures that we refer to the bill of materials as our master list for engineering drawings? My reasoning behind this is: instead of listing those 200 drawings, I could list each bill of material and its revision level. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance.

A

Al Dyer

A master list is not required, but if not in place a strong procedure noting how you ensure that only the current revision level of the drawing is available needs to be in place.

Just my opinion, but with the software avaiable today, a master list is easy to keep up and is an easy reference to use during internal and external audits.

"Access" is an easy program to use for this and, if you like, I could email you a sample document control database.

ASD...

------------------
Al Dyer
Mngt. Rep.
[email protected]

J

JSmith

I would really appreciate that. I'm going to take you advice.
Thanks again,
JSmith

D

Dawn

Al,
What would it cost me to get a copy of that Access program?

R

Rick Goodson

During a recent assessment audit we made a very good case that the actual file directory in word is the 'master list' for the documents. Revisions level - the file date. No additonal list was required. Note however that this is a paperless system with any printed document controlled only for the day it was printed.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> During a recent assessment audit we made a very good case that the actual file
> directory in word is the 'master list' for the documents. Revisions level -
> the file date.

I have done the same with several clients. This is KISS

The only thing that I have seen screw this up is using the file date as the revision date. This due to the way Word can cause this date to increment when a file is opened yet not changed. I also prefer 'hard coded' revision dates within each document. I am also not a proponent of using auto-enter field for the revision date within the document.

A

Al Dyer

Dawn,

I just sent you a copy, no cost, just your continued contribution to the site.

ASD...

Top Bottom