Education - Seeking Information / Recommendations on CQE/CQM

C

Curt de Mich

Education

I have recently been promoted to Management Rep. from Lead Auditor. I have tried a few searches online for Quality related education with little success.:confused: . Any information on CQE/CQM would help a great deal.

:cool: Thanks,
Curt

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Those are ASQ certifications. Their Web Site should have all the details. Or.... Are you asking for opinions on their relevance?

C

Curt de Mich

Mark,

Both I guess. I have heard good and bad about ASQ certifications. I realize opinions will vary greatly but I would be interested in hearing yours. I would like to find some sort of on-line training if you have any information it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Curt,

First, a question: are you also a CQA or interested in becoming one?

My opinion, the CQA is more valuable to a Management Rep than either the CQE or CQM. However, studying for the two will help you to better understand QM Systems.

For the CQA:

The Quality Audit, by Charles Mills
The CQA Primer, authored by Wohrtman and published by the Indiana Quality Council

For the CQE:

Quality Planning and Analysis, by Juran/Gryna
The CQE Primer, authored by the same folks above
Total Quality Control, by Armand Feigenbaum
Statistical Quality Control, by Grant/Leavenworth

For the CQM (I have not taken this test or studied for it as I don’t think it is personally worth it)

I recommend the following:

Out of the Crisis, by W. Edwards Deming
The Leader’s Handbook, by Peter Scholtes
The Team Handbook, Peter Scholtes
Fourth Generation Management, by Brian Joiner
Management Challenges for the 21st Century, by Peter Drucker
Punished by Rewards, by Alfie Kohn
No Contest, Alfie Kohn
Abolishing Performance Appraisals, Tom Coens and Mary Jenkins
Total Quality Control
Quality Planning and Analysis
Certified Quality Manager (something close to this title if this is wrong, but I have the book so if you can’t figure it out, let me know and I’ll get it for you)
Search on the internet for: “One more time: how do you motivate employees?” by Fredrick Herzberg published by Harvard Business Review.

Well, that should keep you busy a while.

Regards,

Kevin

C

Curt de Mich

Thanks Kevin,

You're right I think that will keep me busy for some time. I have not decided on either CQE/CQM or CQA I am just looking around to see whats out there that will best suit my needs and the needs of the organazation I am currently with. All opinions and information is a help. Of the reading material you suggest wich would you start with. Again thanks for the info.

Curt

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Curt,

When I took the CQA and the CQE, I asked the group present (mostly strangers) which certification was most ‘practical’. In the discussion before the test, consensus was that the CQA was and for these two reasons:

- QMS are generally less technical, the CQE is very technical and gives limited exposure to auditing.
- Auditing is a ‘Check’ mechanism in the QMS, the CQA give you the knowledge (certified) to accomplish this (in actuality, you will learn through studying and the certificate is ancillary)

Well, some food for thought.

As for which book to start with, that really depends on which avenue you pursue first. But as a general statement, I would start with Out of the Crisis. It is as good in life as it is with management theory. For a more applications type read on management theory and how systems work, I would start with the Leader’s Handbook followed closely by Fourth Generation Management and Total Quality Control (more traditional I suppose, but an excellent resource).

Regards,

Kevin

Regardless of opinions certification lends credence to the decision making process.
Kevin provided a great reading list. I would also consider the list that comes with each type of certification; "The Body of Knowledge". Also your local ASQ chapter provides classes in each type of certification. And don't forget your lead auditor courses, AIAG courses and customer specific courses.

Enjoy:ko:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Design for an education services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Quality Assurance/Quality Control in Education Consultacy Service Industry Specific Topics 14
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
M Education - Jobs Requiring a College Degree Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A Audit Finding on 6.2.2 - Education Requirements not Verified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 27001 A.8.2.2 Information Security Awareness, Education and Training IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
AnaMariaVR2 Value of a Higher Education Career and Occupation Discussions 19
I Education: Master Quality Management & Master Thesis Career and Occupation Discussions 8
L Environmental Targets - Services to the Education Sector Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M ISO 9001 Certified Education Company - Defining the Product & Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Anybody in the Education Industry? Service Industry Specific Topics 18
G I need education in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
AnaMariaVR2 Warning letter addresses lack of training/education 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
V CE Marking for Device under (Research and Education) Non Medical. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D HR (Human Resources): Matrix of Competence in USA - Education Level aspect ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
V What documents are required for Education and Training in AS9100 Internal Auditing 3
C Education vs. Training - Training effectiveness program ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Interpretation of Clause 7.6 in the Education Field (IWA 2) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
F Realisation of Product in regards to ISO 9001 for Private School (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
D IWA2:2007 (guidelines for application of ISO in education) and good gap analysis tool Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 15
C Plotting identified Competencies, Education & Training Needs into the Training Plan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
D ISO 9001:2000 clause 6.2.2 e) - records of education ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Implementing ISO 9001 in a school (Education) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Continuing Education - TPS (Toyota) Training/Conference Opportunities? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
L Injection Molding Quality Assurance - Best methods, practices, tools, education Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
D Distance Education Question. (Online Degree) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Marc Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
C Upper Management Education to the gist of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Sidney Vianna Guidelines for Education Sector (ISO/IWA 2) - New ISO Standard ISO 21001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M ISO 14001 in education organizations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
D 6.2.2 e - Minimum education requirements for workers? Some never went to school! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
WALLACE Deming's philosophy in education? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
Raffy Competencies: Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M ISO9000 certification in education - Higher end post graduate degree school ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A 6.2.1 Assignment of Personnel - Applicable education, training, skills and experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D ISO 9001 Requirements for Education Institutions Service Industry Specific Topics 27
K Guidelines for implementing ISO9000 in education - ISO 21001:2018 Update June 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Training records vs experience and education Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
Marc Applying ISO 9001 in Schools - ASQ Z1.11-2002 Guideline for Training and Education Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15