Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Hi Everyone,

I have query related to IEC 61000-3-2 (Harmonic Emission) and IEC 61000-3-3 (Flickering emission) under IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 . We have single phase machine (230V +/- 10VAC) with Fuse rating 20 A i.e Max current consumption may be 20 A.

So Will these tests applicable to our device?

I am in doubt because these tests were applicable only for equal to or less than 16 A but in our case it is 20A so may be not applicable to us. But it is also applicable to single phase 220 V or more and our device fall in this category.

1567590368719.png

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I am moving this discussion thread to the IEC 60601 forum.

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Hello

We are performing internal lab tests on our class II medical products which includes Electrostatic discharge test (IEC 61000-4-2) . There are some doubts in my mind related to this tests which were

1. What type of test shall be performed on painted part? Contact discharge or Air discharge as paint is considered as non metallic part?
2. Our production line using plastic caps on metallic part . Then how should we perform the tests on that part.
After removing the cap and then contact discharge on metallic part or Air discharge on plastic cap?

Your help will be appreciated

Pads38

I would suggest that in both cases you mention the air discharge tip should be used.
On a painted panel you may get discharge through the paint or at the edge of the panel where metal may be exposed.
Keep the caps on - if that is 'normal' use. But probe around the bottom of the caps and you may get discharge to the underlying metalwork.

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
Are you declaring the paint to be insulation?

IEC 61000-4-2 states:
"In the case of painted surfaces covering a conducting substrate, the following procedure shall
be adopted:
If the coating is not declared to be an insulating coating by the equipment manufacturer, then
the pointed tip of the generator shall penetrate the coating so as to make contact with the
conducting substrate. Coating declared as insulating by the manufacturer shall only be
submitted to the air discharge. The contact discharge test shall not be applied to such
surfaces."

Kuldeep Singh

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Jaydub , Thats what i want to know. It clears all my doubts related to painted surfaces.

Would you please also help me for my query related to plastic cap issue under thread #4 pt 2.

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
Are the metallic parts covered by the plastic caps accessible in normal use? If the user would remove the caps to use the device, then I would remove them and test with contact discharges. If they are normally left on then I would test with air discharges.

Top Bottom