Excel .xls Log for Records Instead of Paper Forms

C

cc_mfg

First of all, I wanted to say that this forum is great! We are starting the journey towards ISO 9001 certification. Here's my first topic that I need some input on:

(1) Is it acceptable to use an excel log to initiate, track and close document revisions, non-conforming material and corrective/preventive actions instead of completing a paper form? We are a small company and want to minimize paperwork as much as possible.

Let me know if you need any clarification. TIA.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Excel Log Instead of Paper Forms

First of all, I wanted to say that this forum is great! We are starting the journey towards ISO 9001 certification. Here's my first topic that I need some input on:

(1) Is it acceptable to use an excel log to initiate, track and close document revisions, non-conforming material and corrective/preventive actions instead of completing a paper form? We are a small company and want to minimize paperwork as much as possible.

Let me know if you need any clarification. TIA.

Hello cc_mfg,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Simple answer: YES.

Forms are not required. Records are.

Stijloor.

C

cc_mfg

Thanks for the reply. My last company was an FDA regulated company, so requirements for documentation were much different. I need to get out of the FDA mind-set since my new company manufacturers cables.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply. My last company was an FDA regulated company, so requirements for documentation were much different. I need to get out of the FDA mind-set since my new company manufacturers cables.

Yes, old habits die hard.

Do what makes sense for you and your customers.
Keep an eye on ISO 9001, regulatory and statutory requirements though....;)

Stijloor.

B

Boscoeee

Yes, old habits die hard.

Do what makes sense for you and your customers.
Keep an eye on ISO 9001, regulatory and statutory requirements though....;)

Stijloor.

Call it what you may, in the end it is practical to have a structured format to enter data from regardless if it is a paper form or a electronic spreadsheet or database tool. :2cents:

Good Luck!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Call it what you may, in the end it is practical to have a structured format to enter data from regardless if it is a paper form or a electronic spreadsheet or database tool. :2cents:

Good Luck!

Avoid duplicate entries. It is redundant and does not add value.

Stijloor.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

If non FDA, its very simple in using Excel spreadsheets - no question about software validation etc. ;)

Btw, we had another thread on the same subject - Using Excel .xls spreadsheet to replace paper logsheets - Has anyone had success?

Z

zancky

Hi to everybody,
there is more or less the same thread “Creating a system to capture Quality related issues for design department” where I have explained some of my concerns about excel in that special case:
In your case there's a lot of thing to be balanced;
how many data do you wont to store ?
excel file can not handle a lot of them. a DB is almost the best solution
how long do You need to keep the data?
a CD-rom back-up last for 5 years max 10 years. In the meantime it may happen that Microsoft change something and You can not read anything. A good DB will provide You back up file in txt format.
Do You need Traceability of changes, updating etc ?
You must perform copies/back up or prints into pdf files (the best solution; pdf is a format approved by US army therefore....)
how many people are involved?
If You have to share the file You must to write scripts in order to drive people how to fill the form.
Most of the problem come from people using different words for same things, typing mistakes etc (the worst is the standard “sorry a small mistake we have deleted some of Your lines” or “I have crashed the computer and I can not open the file anymore”, the most boring is looking for an item and find out someone has used a strange/different word).
Do You need authorized people for changes, approvals, standard user just for reading?
You need password at different level.

Excel is good for SPC, diagram, or very short and easy job involving numbers and few words (eg FMEA).

My choice?: I'm writing my program by myself. It takes time but I can change idea, format, form etc whenever I wont without losing data

P.s. I wolud like to find a thread for discussing quality software specification

nevertheless good luck :bigwave:

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi cc
Yes, It is acceptable to use an excel log to initiate, track and close document revisions, non-conforming material and corrective/preventive actions instead of completing a paper form. We are also a small company and transferring our hard copy (logsheet and monitoring forms) into an excel spreadsheet and access database is part of our cost reduction measures and continual improvement towards the paperless system
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
The first question is why collect this information to begin with? The reason is to have a history that you can look back to in order to evaluate trends, track issues to resolve or update FMEA, Control Plans, and so forth. Excel gets you part way there, in that you can sort. A database is better, because you can sort with linking. An omnibus database, that covers all aspects of the quality system, is best (if it works) because you can link non-conformances to machines, gages, customers, etc. and develop meaningful reports (if the database is any good, and the data was input correctly - an issue with any software approach). I have worked at a couple companies that have an array of databases and spreadsheets for tracking a variety of quality data, and more companies that used omnibus databases. The fact that the array of spreadsheets are not connected is painful when trying to track historical trends. Rather than one query, you have to do a variety of queries.:frust:

But, Excel is a good start, and an improvement over paper. Hard to query paper systems. :cool:

On the other hand, IMHO, I will say that I prefer canned packages. Yes, it may not be as flexible as writing your own, but in my mind the thing I learned from years of programming classes is why reinvent the wheel if it is already written. Were you hired to be a programmer? Does the overhead of putting this together and debugging it take away from other tasks. Now, if you have an extremely capable process and time on your hands, it will help pass the time.:2cents:

Top Bottom