FANTASTIC Movies

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Now, not just great movies like Casablanca, I am talking whole other level.

OK, Casablanca is there. but others too.

Now first I propose Paddington. Yes, I know, kids movie, etc. This movie has incredible pathos and transitions into incredible humor and does it seamlessly! Not many movies can make that claim but this one does! Oh, Bathroom scene is off the hook! BTW, NO potty humor, you can let any kids watch!

Now, what are YOUR fantastic movies?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Tracey and I watch a movie every night, from the first movie ever made through some 2016 movies. I have a lot of movies from the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's.

Last night: Nick Carter - Phantom Raiders (1940) Not the best ever made, but I have 3,552 in my list of movies I have watched over the years (yes, I have actually kept a list for years...)

Night before was Betsy's Wedding (1990)

I can't say I have a "best" opinion, though. I do like Myrna Loy, especially the "Thin Man" movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy together.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Gone with the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
The Godfather (I)
Star Wars (a new hope and the force awakens)
Anything with Hepburn and Tracy
What's Up Doc
Double Jeopardy
War Games (I LOVE when the general says "I'll P!$$ on a sparkplug if it will help")
Striking Distance
Bandits

here's my thing: you can tell that as the list progresses, it becomes a real matter of personal taste and connection, not art or message.

At our camp, we have about 400 DVDs and a bunch of old Disney VHS tapes that are too expensive to replace with DVDs. We don't have cable or internet access at the camp so people watch the DVDs when it rains or at night. The most watched DVDS in descending order:

Lake Placid
Jaws
On Golden Pond
What Lies beneath
The Parent Trap (original and remake)
Sisterhood of the traveling pants (I and II)
Mama Mia
Reservoir Dogs
The Godfather I and II (I won't allow III in the building)
Twister

There is something about these movies (besides the lake theme for many) that keeps people coming back for the same thing over and over again...

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
My list starts with all the Harry Potter movies, although my favorite of these is the third movie.
Playing by Heart, Maxie are two all time favorites, The Intern and the Age of Adaline are my most recent favorites.
Also love the Hunger Games movies.
I know my list is heavy on the young adult genre, but I do have teenagers that have grown up with some of these.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
... a bunch of old Disney VHS tapes that are too expensive to replace with DVDs. ...
I have a bunch of old VHS tapes in my barn. Some years back I bought a combo VHS/DVD player for about US$45 at someplace like Walmart and transferred the old VHS tapes to DVD with it because VHS tapes "go sour" over time. These days I have all my DVDs "ripped" to a big external hard drive with about 600 or so DVDs stored in a closet here.

Yet - I haven't owned a TV in over 10 years. Tracey and I "watch TV" on a 27" iMac.

I'm with you in that "... it becomes a real matter of personal taste and connection, not art or message ..." - I even have a collection of old movie theater serials such as:
  • Mystery Mountain - Ken Maynard - Serial Western
  • Secret Code - 1942 - Columbia Serial
  • Superman - Superman Comes to Earth - Columbia Serial - 1948
  • The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd 1953 Columbia Serial
  • The Last Of The Mohicans 1932 Mascot Serial 12 Chapters
  • Tailspin Tommy 1934 Universal Serial Chapters 1-12
  • The Sign of the Wolf 1931 Metropolitan Serial
I have been a video nut for many years.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
2 Ozzy movies that are a bit unusual and very good in my opinion:

Last train to Freo (not for the faint hearted)
Ten Canoes

Another good one that is a bit difficult: The Sweet Hereafter.

I also liked Nine (9) and Coraline which I used to watch with my kids.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Still integrating Laura's household and mine. VHS Tapes? Two boxes! OK, a bunch are Star Trek........

Top Bottom