First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go

K

kidstonkai

Hi all,

I have a customer who have rejected FAIRs because there maybe a dimension, e.g. Ø1.001/1.003", where I have put down a Plug Gauge as a measuring equipment. Obviously the part conforms to the plug gauges that were used.
They have said that they WANT dimensions results written and all future First Articles will be rejected if no dimension results are used.

I have always gone by the whole "Physical over Mechanical". I have never read, in any of the SAE or ISO standards that you have to write down a dimensions for tolerance features, for First Article Inspection Reports.

My question:
If a plug gauge was used for the Inspection, and conforms, can a FAIR be rejected because no dimension was written? If so, where is this written and which standard?

K

kidstonkai

Can't you write the dimension of the plug? So if a 1.002 plug fits, but a 1.003 does not, write 1.002. I think most people want an actual number to "prove" that you actually checked it.

It states that, as long as you write down the plug sizes and the part fits the correct gauges, then the information given is correct.
I just do not know where I stand about telling my customer where to swivel.

I have given the gauge number and the GO/NOGO sizes of the gauge. Fingers crossed.

K

kidstonkai

FYI
I do have a CNC CMM to measure the part but it's the principal of wanting to use a gauge in my FAIR.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you have to submit the FAIR each time the part is shipped? Or is this the initial FAIR when the part is produced for the first time ever?

K

kidstonkai

Do you have to submit the FAIR each time the part is shipped? Or is this the initial FAIR when the part is produced for the first time ever?

It is a 'Break in production' batch (of greater than 2 years).

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Ahha..
Support your Customer by submitting the dimensional layout. Also submit a gage R&R for the plug gage, add it to the control plan under your first piece inspection, add it in the checking aid section on the PSW. That should cover you for the future FAIR's performed.

Also re-check their requirements in the supplier manual if they issue one. Is it a actual requirement or a SQE "want".

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Go/No-Go, provides limited insight as to what the process is doing...where it is headed, is the tool wearing out prematurely, is the fixture worn out, etc. etc. Continuous or variable data trumps Go/No-Go because of the insight it provides...before parts start failing a Go/No-Go gage. Kind of an early warning...

Top Bottom