FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it?

Daniel Cruz

Registered
I am working my way through the new standard and was curious if the FMEA-MSR is familiar to anyone here. I'm struggling to see where it would fit in, it seems like a DFMEA with slightly different, more end-user focused definitions, but I don't yet understand why this was added in as a "third pillar" next to DFMEAs and PFMEAs. Anyone have some insight here?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I am working my way through the new standard and was curious if the FMEA-MSR is familiar to anyone here. I'm struggling to see where it would fit in, it seems like a DFMEA with slightly different, more end-user focused definitions, but I don't yet understand why this was added in as a "third pillar" next to DFMEAs and PFMEAs. Anyone have some insight here?

Daniel, there is a brief description in the second paragraph on Page 15, and a detailed description beginning on Page 125.
It can be part of a Design FMEA, but only if diagnostic capability is required to maintain safety or compliance. Take some time to study pages 125 and 126.

IMHO, it was added to provide more (LEGAL?) protection for the driver of the vehicle but also the OEM. More insights anyone?

Added: What is an FMEA-MSR? Here are some quick answers. Disclaimer: I have no business connection with this organization.

Last edited:

anandqgp

Involvement Access - Posts
Hi Daniel. We all have been experience MSR in our day to day life but somehow not recognising its presence. Let me quote some examples from Automotives. We all use brakes in our cars. As on today, we normally come to know of worn out brake pads only when we feel that it takes longer distance for vehicle to stop. Even when 60-70 per cent people ignore this failure and continue to use the worn out brake pads. And then .05 percent people realize this problem when they actually meet an accident.

Now let us talk as to Where MSR comes in. Now perceive that if had some sensor fitted in the brake pads when cautions the Driver with an audio message at 70% (the unsafe zone) of brake pads wear that "Hello friend, you are now riding weaker brakes and you have another 500Km to drive when your vehicle will be made non-operable, So better take your vehicle to Service shop and get the pads replaced. In emergency still you have an option to over-ride this warning for another 200KM".

Now in which process can such a alert and safety system can be ensured? Not Process Design since at process design, people do what is designed at Product Design. So obvious answer to your question is "MSR is applicable only to Product Design". There are numerous other examples of MSR but ending up only with visual displays. Some of them are, Seat belt not worn, Engine overheated warning, low Engine oil warning, battery not charging warning, lower fuel warning etc etc.

Should you still have any more doubts, please feel free to contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonecir

Registered
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if anyone could possibly share a link to download a pdf version of the new FMEA edition.
Thanks a lot.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if anyone could possibly share a link to download a pdf version of the new FMEA edition.
Thanks a lot.
That would be copyright protected. Posting of copyrighted materials is not allowed.

OpExPro

Starting to get Involved
Hi Daniel. We all have been experience MSR in our day to day life but somehow not recognising its presence. Let me quote some examples from Automotives. We all use brakes in our cars. As on today, we normally come to know of worn out brake pads only when we feel that it takes longer distance for vehicle to stop. Even when 60-70 per cent people ignore this failure and continue to use the worn out brake pads. And then .05 percent people realize this problem when they actually meet an accident.

Now let us talk as to Where MSR comes in. Now perceive that if had some sensor fitted in the brake pads when cautions the Driver with an audio message at 70% (the unsafe zone) of brake pads wear that "Hello friend, you are now riding weaker brakes and you have another 500Km to drive when your vehicle will be made non-operable, So better take your vehicle to Service shop and get the pads replaced. In emergency still you have an option to over-ride this warning for another 200KM".

Now in which process can such a alert and safety system can be ensured? Not Process Design since at process design, people do what is designed at Product Design. So obvious answer to your question is "MSR is applicable only to Product Design". There are numerous other examples of MSR but ending up only with visual displays. Some of them are, Seat belt not worn, Engine overheated warning, low Engine oil warning, battery not charging warning, lower fuel warning etc etc.

Should you still have any more doubts, please feel free to contact me.

Great explanation! Thank you so much!

Top Bottom