Four Tops vocalist Levi Stubbs dies at 72

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Summary:

By Gary Graff

DETROIT (Billboard) - Arguably the most powerful voice in Motown's storied history has been silenced. Four Tops lead singer Levi Stubbs Jr. died Friday at his home in Detroit after a long series of health problems, including cancer and a stroke, that forced him to stop performing in 2000. He was 72.

Funeral arrangements were pending for Stubbs, who is survived by Clineice, his wife of 48 years, and five children.

"He had one of the most prolific and identifiably voices in American history," the Motown Alumni Association's Billy J. Wilson told Billboard.com. "It's a deep loss, to the entire Motown family and to the world."

Stubbs' death leaves Abdul "Duke" Fakir as the Tops' only living member from the original quartet, which formed in 1954 as the Four Aims and signed with Motown nine years later. Laurence Payton passed away in 1997, and Renaldo "Obie" Benson died in 2005.

Fakir continues to lead a version of the Tops that includes Payton's son Roquel, former Temptations member Theo Peoples and Motown veteran Ronnie McNeir.

Stubbs -- born Levi Stubbles in Detroit -- gave voice to enduring hits such as "Baby I Need Your Loving," "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)," "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "Brenadette." The Tops have sold more than 50 million records and racked up 45 chart hits for the Motown, ABC Dunhill, Arista and Casablanca labels, and the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.

Stubbs also provided the voice of Audrey II, the man-eating plant in the film version of the musical "Little Shop of Horrors" in 1986, and of Mother Brain in the 1989 animated TV series "Captain N: The Game Master."

Stubbs' last public appearance with the group was at the group's 50th anniversary concert July 28, 2004, at Detroit's Music Hall Center.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Watchcat Four NBs now designated under the MDR - August 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Marc A Four Day Work Week - Reuters - Dec 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
A New to Calibration - Four Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 8
R Product Name when Marketing four components as part of one product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L I have four groups to compare, and each group has three samples Using Minitab Software 4
N Linear Regression Formula with Four Variables to a Power Regression Formula Using Minitab Software 2
D Are Four Sigma Control Limits based on Shewhart's work Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Wes Bucey Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!) Career and Occupation Discussions 0
C Who offers Four Year Degree in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
I Process Efficiency with Four Different Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Sidney Vianna The last four minutes of Air France flight 447 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
N Four CMMs and would like to write programs for intermediate checks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Four Procedures I need examples of Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S What is IMDS? Does Any kind of other thing other then four wheel manufacturing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
J Calculating the overall MTTR for an MTBF of 476, given four subsystems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A Be Popular at Work: Four Steps Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
C Simple four-box process model - Referenced in ASQ Process-based auditing course General Auditing Discussions 5
E Multiple Registrations at One Site - Operations were Separated - Four different QMS's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
L Four Audits in One Month General Auditing Discussions 18
I Fast Runs - Four lots, one day each, every month - What chart to use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D QS-9000 / ISO9000 Procedures - Four Questions about Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A What is included in the Four Tiers of Documentation Pyramid? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I Assembly Work Surface Cleanliness - Plastic Table Tops and Embedded Metal Chips Manufacturing and Related Processes 9