Gage R&R - Digital Torque Wrenches - 5-50 nM range units

B

brucep@magna

Has any one out there established a method to conduct R & R on digital torque wrenches
We currently use 5-50 nM range units with datastats to take static torque readings on joints secured with electric nut runners connected through focus boxes. Our last audit produced a minor for not having MSA on these wrenches. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

A

aldyer

Suppliers of these devices have masters that they work to that are traceable to a master standard. We have a master and a back-up that are sent out for calibrtion on a quarterly basis. The wrenches and masters go through the same MSA standards for Bias,lineariy,and stability on a pre-defined basis.

In my opinion the best method is to establish stability through the use of a weekly check documented on a variables chart (X-R Sample 5)

The bottom line is to define the need for a master during the APQP process and hold your approved suppliers to the conditions set forth in the contact.

B

Brian Dowsett

Bruce,
I am assuming that when you quote "static torque" you are applying torque in the tightening direction until the joint starts to rotate again, at which point the inspector either takes a reading based on feel, or in some cases the electronic torque wrench can sense the movement.
I had a similar problem a few years back, in that to do a conventional R&R it is necessary to keep measuring the same joint, but each time you measure it, by the nature of the check, it has got a little tighter.
As the first answer suggests, you can use a master gauge (probably digital) and do your ten repetitions against this with each inspector. The drawback with this method is that it does not simulate the real life use of the gauge, in that the inspector will apply torque until the master reaches a predefined reading and then stop - there is no "feel" involved. As you know, the main source of variation in this type of measurement is that one insector will gently apply torque to a joint and get a fairly true reading, whilst an untrained fella will "swing" on the wrench and get a shock value a lot higher.
Our approach was to build a rig, with a centrally mounted wheel (with a square drive) from which a cable supported a platten, on which we could put dead weights. Therefore we could calculate the true torque from the weight x dia of the wheel.
The inspectors then did the R&R on this rig, at typical torque settings for the application. This gave a much better simulation of the actual gauge use, where an accurate reading still depended on the inspectors "feel" of when he overcame the friction in the rig and got the weight moving (we made sure he could not see the weight).
This not only got us through the audit problem but more importantly gave us a good training method on how to use a torque indicating wrench properly.

Hope this of some help.

Brian

A

Arte

R&R in torque wrenches

Hi, a need your help urgent.
I couldn't find information about the procedure to calculate R&R in torque wrenches.
In our assembly process we have a special characteristics of the products, and we unknown a specific procedure to calculate it.
Some one of you can helps me with one type of this procedure, to address my approach of this topic.

my e-mail: [email protected]
Regards
Arte:cool:

J

Jim Biz

Gosh Marc - this one can get REAL complicated -- Issue being that every time you use a torque wrench its more or less an independant test which is very difficult to repeat with any great accruacy

It might be helpful if Arte can tell us what Spec range he's trying to hold -- Ft lbs- inch lbs +/- levels??

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Have you thought of performing a Gage R&R on a group of viscous dampers covering the range of readings that you're trying to validate?

A

Arte

Thanks Jim
I need the procedure because our client (Daimler Ch. of Venezuela) in the PSO process needs that I calculate R&R in the special characteristics.

We assembly brakes (disc and drum) and the special characteristics always are the torque tightening. (sorry)
The torque are between 0,8±0.3 daNm and 4.0±10% daNm

I know this topic is very complicate, but I hope someone of the forum helps me.
Regards
Arte

A

Arte

Atul thanks especialy for the case study it is very iteresting and very useful for my plans
Arte

Top Bottom