Getting started with ISO 9001 - Cost? Implementation time? What is the process?

S

samredoak

How much does it cost in getting started iso 9001?
How long does it take?
What is the process, certification?
Can older products be except?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
samredoak said:
How much does it cost in getting started iso 9001?
How long does it take?
What is the process, certification?

Hi samredoak and Welcome to the Cove!

I moved your post to a more appropriate board.

Those are questions that do not have definitive answers. Much depends on the size and complexity of your organization, the type of product or service you provide, and the commitment of your management group.

The process involves developing a quality program that complies with the standard, outside verification of your compliance, issuance of your certificate, and surveillance audits. That is the short version. The ling version can be found on the many threads on this forum.

Please start with a search of this web site. After you read this post, scroll down to the bottom of the page and there should be links to similar threads.

CarolX said:
Hi samredoak and Welcome to the Cove!
Let me echo that: Welcome. I hope you'll like it here :bigwave: As Carol says, there are lots of threads on the subject here. You may also have more specific questions. If so, post away...

As for
samredoak said:
If you do go for certification, it will be of your system, not your products as such.

/Claes

S

samredoak

Cad Design

We are a very small company, less than 15 people. 80% R&D and small production on older product. The new product will be for the Air Force, going into production. As of now there no formal documentation. The owner does 3d modeling with solidworks2005 and I started here a few months ago. I have been doing the drawings (some) of the modeled parts. The owner asked me to find out how do we get started with iso 9001/2000. We are starting with a blank sheet of paper! He wants ansewers now, veribly:
How much does it cost?
How long does it take?
What is the process, how do we do it?
Can we exempt older product ?
Need help. Thanks to all.

M

mshell

How much does it cost?
I would recommend submitting quote requests to several registrars and letting them submit the cost to you. (Most registrars offer a small business cost reduction)

How long does it take?
That depends on the the organization. There is not set time for implementing the system.

Attend a class on ISO 9001:2000
Select a consultant (if desired)
Implement the required procedures
Implement any additional procedures required by the organization
Perform a gap analysis to determine what is missing
Perform internal audits to determine if the requirements are met
Gather quotes from registrars
Select the registrar best suited to meet the needs of your organization

Your product is not certified, you QMS is.

This is a start and is not all inclusive.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

samredoak said:
We are a very small company, less than 15 people. 80% R&D and small production on older product. The new product will be for the Air Force, going into production. As of now there no formal documentation. The owner does 3d modeling with solidworks2005 and I started here a few months ago. I have been doing the drawings (some) of the modeled parts. The owner asked me to find out how do we get started with iso 9001/2000. We are starting with a blank sheet of paper! He wants ansewers now, veribly:
How much does it cost?
How long does it take?
Need help. Thanks to all.

I may have some insight for you. I work exclusively with small companies in WI to help them implement ISO. Here are some things to check into --

1. states often have grant programs to help small companies develop new business that will help the small employer grow. I know for a fact that WI has given out many grants to smaller companies specifically for the purpose of implementing ISO. Go to your state's website and look under the Dept of Commerce, or Small Business Association.
2. talk to the customer who are asking you to do this, and ask them for help.
3. if you go to a registrar, and tell them that you want a guarantee of a local audior, there are some who will do this. Your costs diminish dramatically! I can PM you with ideas of actual cost figures, if you are interested.
4. The process is different for each company. It really depends on the complexity of your product, exactly what you do, and how you do it! That's the beauty of the standard, it fits your company no matter what you do.
5. Can you exempt older products? You don't register your products, you register the processes used to produce your products. Again, it depends on exactly what you do, what you control, what your suppliers control, etc. If you are going to do it yourselves, may I suggest purchasing a great little book by Herbert Monnich, ISO for Small and Medium Sized Businesses (something like that).

I would be happy to provide more information, if you would like to provide more about your company. If this needs to be confidential, start by private mailing me.

--QG

Top Bottom