Hard cut off date for certificates to be issued against ISO 9001:2008?

D

DWilliamA

Hello..... We have targeted August of 2015 for ISO registration, but have been working on 2008 so far with the assumption that we have a 3 year transition window to migrate to 2015, but it occurred to me that the transition period probably only applies to existing registrations... i.e., new registrations are stuck with a hard cut off date somewhere around the release of 2015 which just happens to be around our target date.

We are interested in adopting 2015 early - that isn't an issue, if we are going to develop a brand new QMS why not, seems the DIS and FDIS process is usually pretty stable, stable enough to work with, probably on purpose you think, so folks like us that need to adopt early can adopt early with little pain.

just now sure how this is likely to pan out.

David A

D

DWilliamA

Re: hard cut off date for 2008?

So we have some time to work with 2008 if we wanted, conventional wisdom seems to indicate that if we are going to build a fresh QMS might as well jump straight to 2015.... besides, it would annoy me personally to have to craft something and turn right around revamp it.

so my questions morphs into - what concerns might an early adopter have creating a fresh QMS? Doesn't seem all that complicated to start now with DIS with a reasonable expectation that the FDIS and final release will fall in line without too much hassle.

AndyN

Moved On

So we have some time to work with 2008 if we wanted, conventional wisdom seems to indicate that if we are going to build a fresh QMS might as well jump straight to 2015.... besides, it would annoy me personally to have to craft something and turn right around revamp it.

so my questions morphs into - what concerns might an early adopter have creating a fresh QMS? Doesn't seem all that complicated to start now with DIS with a reasonable expectation that the FDIS and final release will fall in line without too much hassle.

Two things come to mind: Firstly, the changes between an existing system, built on ISO 9001:2008 aren't going to require a huge amount of changes and secondly, you'll have 3 years to make any changes so you won't be revamping it so soon. Now, just because the 2015 version doesn't say you need a manual and (6) procedures, having them will still meet the requirement for "documented information"...for example.

The benefits of doing it now more than make up for any amount of work of the changes. Build it on 2008 and with an eye on the DIS, perhaps?

D

DWilliamA

We have no QMS at all, I am inclined to think that if we are faced with constructing a brand new QMS from scratch, why not skip 2008. Its going to take a year to do this with either standard.

I just purchased the DIS copy. be interesting to see what I see.

AndyN

Moved On

We have no QMS at all, I am inclined to think that if we are faced with constructing a brand new QMS from scratch, why not skip 2008. Its going to take a year to do this with either standard.

I just purchased the DIS copy. be interesting to see what I see.

Take a year? How big is the company?

D

DWilliamA

about 50 people, but I am factoring in time at the end to accumulate data and corrective actions, plus training management up front, the prevailing mindset is to "do what you say and say what you do" outta get it done... eh... risk management - say what?

AndyN

Moved On

about 50 people, but I am factoring in time at the end to accumulate data and corrective actions, plus training management up front, the prevailing mindset is to "do what you say and say what you do" outta get it done... eh... risk management - say what?

Based on experience, if it takes you a year, you will lose important support. It will drag out, people will lose focus, and the system will NOT be an effective one. It has to be a contemporary system, not a picture of what happened 9 months or more ago...

If you can't get all this done in 6 months, I'd suggest you were not going about it in the most effective manner.

D

DWilliamA

I think we are close on this.... I am working on the assumption we need 3 months of established process data in place, so a year is cut down to 9 months, and I am looking at a couple months of management training so that we have buy in. I can't imagine 2 months of training and buy in, with 3 months of established process, only leaves 1 month to get this done in a 6 month time frame :)

AndyN

Moved On

I think we are close on this.... I am working on the assumption we need 3 months of established process data in place, so a year is cut down to 9 months, and I am looking at a couple months of management training so that we have buy in. I can't imagine 2 months of training and buy in, with 3 months of established process, only leaves 1 month to get this done in a 6 month time frame :)

Have you determined what training is needed? I'd start there! Let me ask you - what is it in ISO 9001 that someone (other than yourself) needs to be competent in? I think you're making this a bigger deal than is really needed. Again, I'd ask what can possible take - in such a small company - 2 or 3 months to "train" management on (it's a smaller headcount)? Are you getting any help? Having implemented ISO and other standards in hundreds of companies over a 20 year period, I have to ask where you're getting these ideas from that it takes so long to do it...

Top Bottom