How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1

lanley liao

Lingli Liao
Hi, Everyone,
How to correctly understand the bullet list of 6.3 d) Analysis of Date for API Spec Q1: "characteristic and trends of process and products
including opportunities for preventive action (see 6.4.3)." Would you give me an example of it? Thanks in advance.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Analyzing data to prevent nonconformity.

Our systems collect and analyze data to provide information to humans and machines so they make better decisions thereby preventing nonconformity. Those data may also be analyzed to determine and remove the root causes of potential nonconformities.

Classic preventive action that is supplemented by risk-based thinking.

For example, we look for trends so we take action to avoid catching Covid-19 thereby maintaining on-time deliveries.

pilchard

No Badges
Basically you can cover this in the management review because you analyze plenty of data dealing with your management system.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Except that review tends to be reactive which has its uses but may be just too late for preventive action.

...I suggest day to day study of your actual system for the proactive use of data to prevent problems.

pilchard

No Badges
Management review requires per Q1 to address status of preventative actions and recommendations for improvement.

Just showing an easy way to address analyzation of data which you already do.:agree1:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I googled the conformity matrix and see that 6.3d is

"d) characteristics and trends of processes and products including opportunities for preventive action (see 6.4.3);"

and 6.4.3 is "Preventive Action".

The way I do handle "characteristics and trends of processes" on the job is Statistical Process Control, and a SPC based dashboard.

See Data-Minded Decision Making, Part 1: Presentation (fluor.com) and also the "Hanford Trending Primer" materials here on the Cove.

Top Bottom