How to measure Effectiveness in Tube Repairments?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody

I´m filling out a form of a CAR but have doubts
as how to measure effectiveness.

For example a 10" tube in a Industrial burner was
damaged because a fire because a high temperature condition.

The root cause was analized and determined.
the problem was the electronic system which controls
the temperature.

The tube was repaired

new design was achieved and redundant system was included

The correction action was carried out and system is OK

now in the CAR form I have to say how is effectiveness and efficiency

How to measure this?

We install burners with tubes since 20 years ago
this is the second time we have this problem.

Thanks to all for your responses

A

arios

Re: How to measure effectiveness in a tube repairments?

Hi everybody

We install burners with tubes since 20 years ago
this is the second time we have this problem.

Thanks to all for your responses

If it ain't a frequent failure mode, then it might be challenging to monitor the problem for a possible re-occurrence. It looks that you have identified the root cause, but I would suggest you to incorporate in your failure investigation an analysis over other potential additional environmental factors (if known) that could be contributors to the problem when combined with the identified root cause. Try to get back to the investigation made and discuss with your team about this issue and the one happening before to see if they both had anything in common: limited space, temperature, humidity, inexperience of users, vibration, ESD, dust, presence of rodents, electromagnetic interference, spikes in voltage, proximity to big equipment which demands high current, etc as relevant to your product. If at the end you still find no additional contributing factors, then document your conclusions into your CAR and use such conclusion to explain why the actions you have taken are deemed effective.

There is another alternative which you can explore, but it could require additional cost and this is to emulate extreme environmental conditions as anticipated for your equipment once in use. If your design is robust and it turns no similar issues then use your test results to explain that the measures taken were effective.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

now in the CAR form I have to say how is effectiveness and efficiency

I've not seen your CAR form and therefore not sure how you structured yours.

For mine, the effectiveness column is for recording the effectiveness of the implemented action. I will monitor the implemented action for a certain period of time and when I am satisfied that the implemented action is working (no further problems), I consider the implemented action as effective and close the CAR.

With regards to efficiency, I don't have it & neither seen others using it.

Last edited:
A

arios

I've not seen your CAR form and therefore not sure how you structured yours.

For mine, the effectiveness column is for recording the effectiveness of the implemented action. I will monitor the implemented action for a certain period of time and when I am satisfied that the implemented action is working (no further problems), I consider the implemented action as effective and close the CAR.

With regards to efficiency, I don't have it & neither seen others using it.

I agree that monitoring the effectiveness of an action over a period of time is good way to confirm it works, nevertheless this particular situation could be different as they have a low incidence. Looks like QAMTY wishes to explore other options.

Top Bottom