I have two Approved Supplier Lists - Hard Copy vs. Electronic

M

Mark Smith

I find my company in the position of having what are essentially 2 "approved Vendor lists" One is a hardcopy list (in the format of a spreadsheet)that contains the names, addresses, phone and contact name of all of our approved suppliers and an additional column identifying on what basis they have been approved, i.e, past performance, ISO registerers,standing in industry, etc.

We also have a business software that the Purchaser uses which contains the name, address,phone etc. AND ALSO identifies the specific approved part that we purchase from the supplier. My question is this "wouldn't it be better for the company if I dump the controlled spreadsheet (obsolete it) and control the Purchasing database as a replacement?" By doing this, the person who uses the Approved supplier list the most has easy access to it and we eliminate some redundancy.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The software should be sufficient - but how about the 'basis for approval' column? You shouldn't even need that if you have a 'supplier file' where you can put/identify the basis of approval.

M

Mark Smith

That would have been my next point. I was considering saving the old "Approved supplier list" but renaming it as the Supplier selection criteria list or some other such name and file it with the supplier files. Is it necessary to control this list if I do?

M

Mark Smith

I'm not sure I understand your reply but how's this? The supplier files I refer to are individual files for each of the approved suppliers. Contained within these files are copies of Quality System self-assessment questionaires that each supplier has filled out and returned to me as well as supplier evaluation records as evidence that the supplier is capable of providing materials that meet our specifications.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
OK but how do you flag when a supplier is performing poorly and is being removed from the list? Where is that data?....same file i would guess .... but say so. you don't drop them from the data base do you? My guess is no....in reality that doesn't happen. So document what happens there and how.

oh ya....and who else is on that list? Moe than the suppliers that affect the Quality of product i would bet....so how do you identify that?

BTW...i like a data base rather than hard copy, i am just playing auditor. cover all that stuff, and marc's stuff and you will be fine

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 20 October 1999).]

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Somewhere in your documentation you have to define accept / reject criteria and such considerations of Reject but Use (special or increased inspection?) because the supplier is a sole source or such.

M

Mark Smith

Actually, my vendors are monitored through the use of the Material Review Board. From time to time we have a management review mtg that summarizes the performance of each vendor (the vendors are assigned a grade based on their performance from one mgmt review to another. If their grade dips below a certain level it triggers other actions, one of which may include replacing the vendor. Vendors with a good history that suddenly dip may only require a call or visit to determine what maybe causing the problem and fixing it.

Top Bottom