IATF 16949 - 8.4.2.3 - Applicability to Shipping Suppliers

IvanHF

Starting to get Involved
We are in the process of working on IATF 16949 certification as mandated by our automotive customers and one area where we have a problem is in meeting the requirements of 8.4.2.3 for supplier QMS development. We use freight brokers for shipments and as such have little direct control over certification status of the trucks that actually transport our product. I've been doing research into ISO 9001 certified trucking companies and the few I've been able to locate seem to focus on specialized transportation, not standard truckload service.

Does the requirement for an ISO 9001 certified QMS apply to shipping companies? In the June 2018 Sanctioned Interpretations the requirement is stated as:

"The organization shall require their suppliers of automotive products and services to develop, implement, and improve a quality management system (QMS) with the ultimate objective of eligible organizations becoming certified to this Automotive QMS Standard...
...Unless otherwise authorized by the customer a QMS certified to ISO 9001 is the initial minimum acceptable level of development."

However it then states in the Rationale section:

"Additional clarification added with “as applicable” in the first paragraph to address those organizations that are not eligible for IATF 16949 certification (examples including but not limited to the following: scrap metal suppliers, trucking companies who provide transport and logistics support, etc.)."

Since trucking companies are specifically cited as an example of ineligibility for IATF 16949 certification, would the requirement for ISO 9001 certification still apply? Would shipping be considered an "automotive service" if used for automotive components? Any insight would be helpful here, as restricting ourselves to only ISO 9001 shipping suppliers could drastically impact our cost of doing business.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Our automotive customers, and also non-automotive tell us who we have to use to ship parts to them. They have the contracts with the freight/shipping companies that we have to utilize. And I am pretty sure none of them are ISO. As long as you follow the Customer requirement, this won't be an issue.

IvanHF

Starting to get Involved
The majority of our automotive customers do not stipulate who to use for shipping.

AndyN

Moved On
Ivan: IATF16949 is about product quality. The trucking company doesn't affect product quality, in the way the flow down of ISO 9001 etc is intended. If you're worried about getting gigged by a CB, simply address this requirement by sending an email out, informing the trucking company that you'd like them to consider being ISO certified. Unless you've got a serious issue with them damaging loads or delivering late, don't spend any more time on it...

Rameshwar25

Dear Andy
No, IATF is not only for product quality. 'Delivery rating' is a part of customer requirements which can not be fulfilled by not focusing on logistics. You will find word 'Logistics' at many places in standard. Getting better logistics services is equally important to deliver to customer at right time.
"The organization shall require their suppliers of automotive products and services to develop, implement, and improve a quality management system (QMS) with the ultimate objective of eligible organizations becoming certified to this Automotive QMS Standard...
As far as supplier QMS development is concerned, you need to go for supplier development of suppliers who are engaged in manufacturing activities like heat treatment, inspection, assembly, plating or any other outsourced services directly linked to final product.
Calibration services, logistics, manpower consultants, training agencies etc are excluded from scope of this clause (8.4.2.3). Other sub-clauses of 8.4.2 are equally applicable on these suppliers.

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
No, IATF is not only for product quality. 'Delivery rating' is a part of customer requirements
Yes I understand. But it's one very small part, compared to the rest. In context of the OP my answer still stands - finding trucking companies who care about certification isn't easy.

Rameshwar25

IATF nevers asks you to put pressure on such suppliers (Calibration services, logistics, manpower consultants, training agencies etc) to go for ISO 9001 certification and further to go for IATF 16949. It is upto you to decide whether you want them to go or not to go.
For heat treatment, inspection, assembly, plating or any other outsourced suppliers, you have no choice. They will have to go for supplier development.

AndyN

Moved On
True, however, it is also true that (some) auditors "expand" the requirement to include trucking companies...

Rameshwar25

today, i found an more specific answer. Recently, there was a change in requirements of clause 8.4.2.3 (SI#8). Below the changed requirement, following text is written:

"Rationale for change:
Clarified the expected supplier quality management system development progression. This approach supports the “Risk Based Thinking” concept emphasized throughout Section 8.4 of the standard. Additional clarification added with “as applicable” in the first paragraph to address those organizations that are not eligible for IATF 16949 certification (examples including but not limited to the following: scrap metal suppliers, trucking companies who provide transport and logistics support, etc.)."

IvanHF

Starting to get Involved
today, i found an more specific answer. Recently, there was a change in requirements of clause 8.4.2.3 (SI#8). Below the changed requirement, following text is written:

"... not eligible for IATF 16949 certification (examples including but not limited to the following: scrap metal suppliers, trucking companies who provide transport and logistics support, etc.)."

I actually quoted this in my original post. It says not eligible for IATF 16949 certification, not ISO 9001 certification. However, I've already made up my mind that we're going to focus our supplier development activities on raw material/finishing process suppliers and see how that goes. If our auditor disagrees regarding this I'll let you know.

Top Bottom