IATF 16949 Strategy - Audit Team Requirement

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi thank you for your reply.
Is you interpretation that I can attend in the next full cycle?
Then I can audit this site for 8 years consecutively.

2013: Re-certification (new cycle Team Leader)
2014: First surveillance (Team Leader)
2015: Second surveillance (Team Leader)
2016: Re-certification (carry over Team Member)
2017: Transition audit (Team Leader)
2018: First surveillance (Team Leader)
2019: Second surveillance (Team Leader)
2020: Re-certification (carry over Team Member again)

What does this team leader thing even mean? I don't understand the team member either.

Rasec

Registered
I don’t believe that is correct. You can have an IATF cert. without having an ISO Cert.
This made me think of the case of a full-pledge automotive company such as the new Tesla or new Toyota factory (site) may opt to go straight to IATF certification without even bothering for ISO9001 certification. But my company is an electronic company which is why I opted to obtain ISO9001 certification first, get the necessary experience, and exposure in QMS, and build confidence towards IAT1649 certification. Just wondering if there is any rule related to the minimum number of years in ISO before going to IATF. But again the Tesla, Toyota case i mentioned made me think otherwise.

Randy

Super Moderator
This made me think of the case of a full-pledge automotive company such as the new Tesla or new Toyota factory (site) may opt to go straight to IATF certification without even bothering for ISO9001 certification. But my company is an electronic company which is why I opted to obtain ISO9001 certification first, get the necessary experience, and exposure in QMS, and build confidence towards IAT1649 certification. Just wondering if there is any rule related to the minimum number of years in ISO before going to IATF. But again the Tesla, Toyota case i mentioned made me think otherwise.
OK, here's the deal because you seem to be as lost as a duck in a dust storm...........If you meet TS16949 you automatically meet ISO 9001, you don't have to do a single thing extra or special. TS is9001 on steroids, it's pumped up, it's got some extra goodies you've got to do.

I am right now, this week at company doing a recertification audit of ISO 14001 and there is another auditor doing the quality system recertification/downgrade from TS to 9001 because they don't need TS any more...The client has had to do nothing different, the auditor just doesn't have to look at the extra TS stuff and I'll be doing the QMS next year no big deal.

So if you absolutely need to do TS just do it, don't haggle around, and ask the CB for a separate 9001 certificate as part of the process, I see it all the time. (If they try to charge you a crazy amount for the 9001 cert say "Thanks" and get another CB.

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Really? It just means Lead Auditor, the guy in charge and responsible for the audit
Thank you, the last 10+ years, I have heard Lead Auditor and Secondary Auditor.

My newest company has only one auditor and I check everything as Lead (I have never seen it this way) although not present during audit. I know that is another entire discussion.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Hi - I would like to piggyback on this thread. My company is recently been certified to ISO9001:2015 (September 2022). Is there any rules set for a minimum number of years that the company be ISO9001 certified before transitioning to IATF16949. My understanding is that the company has to complete at least 2 cycles of ISO9001 surveillance audit before it can transition to IAT16949. Is that correct? Can you please share any refutable references for this inquiry? Thanks in advance.

There is no such requirement of having ISO9001 CERTIFICATION prior to getting an IATF16949 certification.
If you are certified to IATF16949:2016, it means you are compliant (and certified) to ISO9001:2015 as well, since IATF16949 is not a standalone standard, but contains requirements supplemental to ISO9001.

If your organization is already ISO9001 certified, IATF16949 certification is considered an upgrade, and you'll get some man-days reduction as a result, as per IATF rules (section 5.4.c).

But consider the eligibility criteria for IATF16949 certification first. Your organization is eligible only if it does automotive manufacturing, complies with all requirements of IATF16949 standard (in addition to ISO9001) & CSR, has 12 months' performance data (internal & external) available, and completed 1 cycle of internal audits & MRM.

You can also refer to IATF rules to gain more understanding and contact your Certification body to guide you regarding the certification process.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If they try to charge you a crazy amount for the 9001 cert say "Thanks" and get another CB.
If an organization does a lot of non automotive work, as well, it might take a long time for the CB to assess these product lines against ISO 9001 and the cost would be significant.

Randy

Super Moderator
If an organization does a lot of non automotive work, as well, it might take a long time for the CB to assess these product lines against ISO 9001 and the cost would be significant.
Yep see it quite frequently where someone makes automotive parts and televisions. Duration is based on employee count, not product line (until risk actually starts be applied).... That's a big "if"

Randy

Super Moderator
Thank you, the last 10+ years, I have heard Lead Auditor and Secondary Auditor.

My newest company has only one auditor and I check everything as Lead (I have never seen it this way) although not present during audit. I know that is another entire discussion.
You're doing internal? I missed that. Internally some type of requirement for auditor rotation and eventual exclusion sounds pretty dumb, especially for smaller organizations.

Top Bottom