ILAC Regulations - Expression of Units on the Calibration Certificate

M

MetroBioCen

Hello

We have been given the task of investigating all matters relating to the ISO 17025 accreditation of ourcalibration laboratory and in conversation with some other colleagues a doubt has arisen.

Is there any ILAC regulation stating that results of measurement on a Calibration Certificate must be expressed SI units?

For instance. The Calibration Certificate of a thermometer graduated on ?C should have the measurements in Kelvin?

Any help regarding this most welcomed

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello

We have been given the task of investigating all matters relating to the ISO 17025 accreditation of ourcalibration laboratory and in conversation with some other colleagues a doubt has arisen.

Is there any ILAC regulation stating that results of measurement on a Calibration Certificate must be expressed SI units?

For instance. The Calibration Certificate of a thermometer graduated on ?C should have the measurements in Kelvin?

Any help regarding this most welcomed

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards
A quick read of ISO 17025 suggests that no such requirement exists for that document. Whether 17025 must be compliant with any ILAC requirements, I don't know. But if it does then by inference ILAC has no requirement either.
I don't have access to any ILAC documents except P14. I don't see it in there, either.

Measurements must be traceable to the SI, but I don't see where the reported calibration units must be SI units.
In fact, the documents speak about units that are not themselves directly traceable to the SI, and how to handle them.

*If you are seeking to create an ISO 17025 accredited lab, then you should buy a copy of 17025 (and study it) and reach out to prospective accrediting bodies and get some advice from them.

Last edited:

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I looked at the available ILAC documents, and I cannot find any ILAC requirement to report calibration results in SI units.

You should check with your accreditation body, I believe in your case it is the National Accreditation Body of the Republic of Cuba (ONARC), to see if they have any specific requirements regarding reporting results in SI units. Most accreditation bodies have their own rules that you will need to follow above those of 17025 and ILAC.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Wondering if this wouldn't fall under agreed customer requirements. I suppose if they wanted units reported in millstones per fortnight, they could have it. The lab, however, may have to keep a record internally in compliance with accr. requirements.

M

MetroBioCen

You should check with your accreditation body, I believe in your case it is the National Accreditation Body of the Republic of Cuba (ONARC)
Indeed it is (ONARC), I'm searching for their normatives right now, but up to this moment I have not found anything related with this matter. I keep searching.

Thank you all very much for your answers.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Short answer is no, ILAC and the Recognized Region for the Western Hemisphere, IAAC, do not require it. It actually goes by economy and/or customer needs. For example, in the US temp can be expressed in either C or F. Uncertainty is sometimes presented in K, but generally even the uncertainty will be the same unit as the main result.

If Cuba uses metric for normal activities in the economy, then you likely will report in metric. Also, if you report only in metric, you don't need to be concerned about conversion calculations, and neither does the customer.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom