Implementing an AS9100 Aerospace Quality System

astelk

Registered
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am in process of implementing AS9100C. I am confused about how many procedures you need to have? do you need procedures for
document control
control of quality
management responsibility
competence,awareness and training
and so on.....
and do you also need procedures for my processes like purchasing, manufacturing, inspection and the rest of them?

:thanks:

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am in process of implementing AS9100C. I am confused about how many procedures you need to have? do you need procedures for
document control
control of quality
and so on.....
and do you also need procedures for my processes like purchasing, manufacturing, inspection and the rest of them?

Hi Astelk,

There are 6 required documented procedures for AS9100C: document control, control of records, internal audit, control of NC product, corrective & preventive actions.
You are certainly encouraged to add other procedures.
AS9100C section 4.2.1 notes say:

NOTE 1 Where the term “documented procedure“ appears within this International Standard, this means that the
procedure is established, documented, implemented and maintained. A single document may address the requirements
for one or more procedures. A requirement for a documented procedure may be covered by more than one document.
NOTE 2 The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to
a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
In addition to the 6 required documented procedures, most companies decide they need some additional documented procedures/work instructions to ensure that what needs to get done does get done, and done properly. Only you and your people can decide when these additional docs are needed.

A

adityawargantiwar

Hello ,

we are an service providing company to auto industries and now we are entering into the aerospace business line... for that we are in process of implementing AS9100C .

as an service industry; Following are queries i am having
1.Which clauses are excluded to us...??
2.Suppier selection risk analysis really required -- since we are not procuring any material which will impact on the final product characteritics.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello ,

we are an service providing company to auto industries and now we are entering into the aerospace business line... for that we are in process of implementing AS9100C .

2.Suppier selection risk analysis really required -- since we are not procuring any material which will impact on the final product characteritics.

Can you provide more details as to what your company really does. What services, plating, heat treat, design, warehouse.....

Michael_M

Hello ,

For Revision C, you can exclude any item in section 7 so long as you can reasonably provide evidence you do not perform that function. For example, the most excluded item (that I know of) is 'design and development'. If you provide no design and development, you can exclude it.

B

BoardGuy

If you are TS 16949 many of your process will naturally fit into AS9100C additional requirements without much effort. Just like TS 16949, AS9100 is based on ISO 9001:2008 so look at your existing procedures and only update them as needed.

Here are a few pointers related to Aerospace, Space and Defense (AS&D) customers that should be part of your system:

7.1.1 Project Management – Procedure not required usually can be address within quality manual.

7.1.2 Risk Management – Procedure not required so actual risks and there mitigation can be added to existing procedures that address 3.1 + 3.2 + 7.1.1 + 7.2.2.e + 7.4.1.f

7.1.3 Configuration Management – Procedure not required and you can address via procedures that address 7.1.e + 7.3.3 + 7.3.6.1 + 7.3.7 + 7.5.3 + 8.2.4 (configuration audit, final inspection).

7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers – “Work transfer” is the control of movement of work from one site to another whereas “outsourced process” (4.1) is a needed process performed by an external party. Procedure is not required.

Business Interruption/Contingency Plans – Typically viewed as Clause 6.3 but TS 16949 Clause 6.3.2 should be sufficient.

Counterfeit Parts Prevention – Becoming larger issue in AS&D and is linked to clause 3.2 + 7.2.2.c.

Customer-Approved Sources – Part of Clause 7.4.1 but additional information found TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.3 is helpful

Software, Production Equipment – Clause 7.1 and 7.5.1.3 define requirements

First Articles – Reference is found in Clause 7.5.1.1 “Note” with AS9102 being the most referenced customer requirement.

International Traffic In Arms Regulations - United States government regulations that control the export and import of defense-related articles as defined by International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Section 122 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Process Effectiveness Measurements – (1) Each company defined process falling under Section 7.0 must have a performance measurement with 12 months of data per AS9100 Registration Requirements. (2) Additionally you must measure On-Time-Delivery and product conformity per Clause 5.4.1 and 8.2.1.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
For Revision C, you can exclude any item in section 7....
With audits to AS9100 Rev. C sunsetting in June 2017, it might not be a good idea to follow Rev. C.

If you are TS 16949 many of your process will naturally fit into AS9100C
I don't think a service supplier can be compliant/certified to TS16949. The eligibility requirements apply specifically to production parts.

It would behoove the OP to clarify what type of services they supply. For example, if they are in the warehousing and distribution business, AS9120 would be a much better QMS standard for them.

B

BoardGuy

Sidney,

Since AS9100D will not be released until September, 2016 waiting for its release may be problematic. OP could have customer required implementation date. One sister company I worked with only had 45 business days to implement the 9100 requirements and schedule a Stage 1 Audit. Also, who knows if the IAQG has got their auditor training act together this time.

Related to adityawargantiwar, should be not issue with being both ISO/TS 16949 and AS9100 registered if the system in integrated correctly. The sister company I mentioned has both AS&D and Medical Device registrations.

K

KN Quality

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
document control
control of quality
and so on.....

I would highly suggest that you hold off on this project to implement the AS9100C. Revision D is just around the corner. No reason to do a system then redo it a year later.

Top Bottom