Internal Auditing - How to make it useful?

C

Chance

Hi guys,

I have a question for all of you...how to make your internal auditing task useful to the company? Yes I do internal audits and they told me that I am thorough but for me it is not enough. I still have so many things to improve. Can you provide your recommendations. Appreciate it.

Thanks.

AndyN

Moved On
Since we don't know much about what you're doing at the moment, it's a bit of an open ended question! "Thorough" is a subjective term. They might 'think' you're doing a good job, but unless they know what you should be doing, how will they know?

Do you have management asking you for audits, or do you do all the planning and scheduling, for example? Do you consider risk in your planning?

C

Chance

Since we don't know much about what you're doing at the moment, it's a bit of an open ended question! "Thorough" is a subjective term. They might 'think' you're doing a good job, but unless they know what you should be doing, how will they know?

Do you have management asking you for audits, or do you do all the planning and scheduling, for example? Do you consider risk in your planning?

I audit different processes to make sure that Auditees are doing what they say (written procedure) they do. At the planning stage, I look at their procedures, take note of their required records and go over the overall process requirements and develop my checklist. I take note outstanding issues, previous audit results, CARs and check on CA status. I audit from the end product and backwards, go the trail of how the end product was manufactured.

I am only doing audits based on what is assigned to me by the Management Rep.

If I miss something please or if there are areas for improvement please let me know.

Risk planning, I think I am behind with this one.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I audit different processes to make sure that Auditees are doing what they say (written procedure) they do. At the planning stage, I look at their procedures, take note of their required records and go over the overall process requirements and develop my checklist. I take note outstanding issues, previous audit results, CARs and check on CA status. I audit from the end product and backwards, go the trail of how the end product was manufactured.

If I miss something please or if there are areas for improvement please let me know.

Hi Chance,
I think you are considering to audit for process approach.
I do not know if you verify the effectiveness ( and the efficiency) of your QMS processes during your internal audit program , in addition to the compliance to the internal procedures as well as versus ISO 9001 and customer requirements.
Rather than using check list, you could adopt turtle diagrams to assess QMS processes and report results to management review in terms of major issues and opportunity for improvement to raise the bar of your entire QMS, aiming at continual improvement.
In addition to internal procedures and ISO 9001, you could also rfers to ISO 9004 for continual improvement. It is not a mandatory norm but an useful guidelines to pursue improvement of an organization.
As further advice, you would also like to advice to work in strict contact with top mgmt and processes owners in order to modify or add other audit to your program in case of major internal issue as well as CAR or return material for your customer.
See you and good luck:bigwave:

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

Instead of focusing on procedures, you might want to focus on the objectives of the processes and of the work people do.

Some questions
- what are you trying to achieve? And why?
- how do you do that?
- how do you know it's the best way to do it?
- how do you know it's the right thing to do?

If you really want to ask about procedures, how about trying to verify if the procedure is really useful: - how the procedures/records and other documentation help you achieve what you want?

AndyN

Moved On

I think in part, it's because the MR isn't aware of how to manage audits differently! If you aren't scheduling the audits, only performing them, then That's the first place to begin. Have them take a look at this article: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=48

Also, this one: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=89

You, in setting up your audit, should follow the process approach, please take a look at this: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=39

Let me know if you've got more questions

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Internal Audits are a check of the system and it components, can create OFIs and aid in improvement. But audits should not be the driver of improvement, although in many companies it is. A lot depends on the maturiety of the system. We all live in 2012 and know what it is like!!!

C

Chance

I think in part, it's because the MR isn't aware of how to manage audits differently! If you aren't scheduling the audits, only performing them, then That's the first place to begin. Have them take a look at this article: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=48

Also, this one: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=89

You, in setting up your audit, should follow the process approach, please take a look at this: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail?id=39

Let me know if you've got more questions
Andy, thank you so much for sharing the articles. It is very informative and useful. As for what I am doing, I guess I am not that far behind. I will definitely use the Football©. Brilliant articles!:agree:

C

Chance

Instead of focusing on procedures, you might want to focus on the objectives of the processes and of the work people do.

Some questions
- what are you trying to achieve? And why?
- how do you do that?
- how do you know it's the best way to do it?
- how do you know it's the right thing to do?

If you really want to ask about procedures, how about trying to verify if the procedure is really useful: - how the procedures/records and other documentation help you achieve what you want?
Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom